Re: Shasta - Casaval Ridge - 4/18 to 4/20 - Draft Time Table

  • Phil Klein
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4 12:59 PM
      Tom-

      I got the OK from my orthopaedic surgeon to resume activities. I did
      some weak indoor plastic climbing last night at the "new" Oakland gym
      (where do you park?) and if there is room, I would love to go up
      Shasta with you guys/gals.

      Let me know if that works at this late date.

      - Phil

      P.S.- Maybe the Mt Sill trip also.

      --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Cronin <tombcronin@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rick, thanks so much for the data. Tom
      >
      > Rick Abbott <abbsfam@...> wrote: Tom, Here's my two cents for
      what it's worth. I did the Casaval Ridge Route a few years ago in
      mid March. We snowshoed/skied from the Bunny Flat Trailhead to a
      high camp on Casaval Ridge above Horse Camp. We set up the high camp
      at about 10,000 feet. We did not start from Bunny Flat until after
      ten in the morning and were at the spot for our high camp by no
      later than 3PM with a stop at Horse Camp for lunch. With snow
      shoes, it really doesn't take more than about 4-5 hours to get to
      high camp. There is not much space for a camp along Casaval Ridge
      above where we camped unless you are willing to do a lot of moving
      snow.

      > We did get up about 1AM for our summit day. It took us about 2
      hours to get going so we were off about 3. I personally think if
      you plan to have a hot breakfast on your summit day, one hour from
      get up to pushoff is optimistic. The early summit start not only
      helps for the snow conditions but it also gets you out of the
      rockfall zone while the snow is still firm and rocks are not raining
      down on you. We summitted by noon using a slow but steady pace. All
      eight of our group made it to the top of the ridge and seven of us
      summited. We descended between the thumb and the red banks down the
      Avalanche Gulch route until we could pretty much contour back to our
      high camp. Depending on the snow conditions that traverse could put
      you in avalanche danger so be aware of the snow stability and
      descend further down avalanche gulch if necessary. We broke camp
      and were out to the trail head by about 5pm so it was a long day.

      > I have been on the avalanche gulch route in April in prior years
      and the snow was so soft in the afternoons that we were postholing
      pretty deeply so if you do not have snowshoes or skis to use to high
      camp your early start might be necessary. I really think if you
      leave Bunny flat by 6AM you'll have plenty of time to get to high
      camp on solid snow even without snowshoes. Much later than that and
      you may find the snow turning soft.

      > Casaval Ridge is a wonderful route Hope you all enjoy it.
      >
      > Rick
      > Subject: CMC: Shasta - Casaval Ridge - 4/18 to 4/20 - Draft
      Time Table

      > Hi, I have received some questions regarding timing for the
      Shasta trip. I have a proposed schedule below for your comment.
      Please let me know if this looks realistic or not?

      > The early starts are to climb on frozen snow instead of
      slush.

      > If your plans have changed let me know and I can strike you from
      the list. We will organize gear etc. closer in.

      > Sincerely, Tom Cronin
      >
      > Day
      > Duration Friday 4/18
      >
      > 11:00 AM To Bunny Flat from Bay
      Area 5:00 4:00 PM Arrive Bunny Flat,
      Final Packing
      > 6:00 PM Turn in Bunny Flat
      > Saturday 4/19
      >
      > 2:00 AM Wake up
      > 2:30 AM Start approach
      10:00 12:30 PM Set up High Camp
      > 6:00 PM Turn in High Camp
      > Sunday 4/20
      >
      > 2:00 AM Wake up
      > 3:00 AM Summit attempt 8:00
      11:00 AM Dismantle high camp 2:00
      1:00 PM Descend to Bunny Flat 4:00
      5:00 PM Drive home 5:00 10:00
      PM Arrive Bay Area

      > ---------------------------------

    • Tom Cronin
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4 2:43 PM
        Hi Phil, great news!  Plenty of room; it is a big mountain.  Have you been doing a lot of hiking?  Tom

        Phil Klein <philklein@...> wrote:
> [...]

        pretty deeply so if you do not have snowshoes or skis to use to high
        camp your early start might be necessary. I really think if you
        leave Bunny flat by 6AM you'll have plenty of time to get to high
        camp on solid snow even without snowshoes. Much later than that and
        you may find the snow turning soft.

        > Casaval Ridge is a wonderful route Hope you all enjoy it.
        >
        > Rick
        > Subject: CMC: Shasta - Casaval Ridge - 4/18 to 4/20 - Draft
        Time Table

        > Hi, I have received some questions regarding timing for the
        Shasta trip. I have a proposed schedule below for your comment.
        Please let me know if this looks realistic or not?

        > The early starts are to climb on frozen snow instead of
        slush.

        > If your plans have changed let me know and I can strike you from
        the list. We will organize gear etc. closer in.

        10:00 12:30 PM Set up High Camp