Re: CMC: Re: Mt Whitney

  • Agnes Sauvage
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 10, 2007
      Im interested too, but also wondering if 4 days is not too much. you only need a day in the summer, so 2-3 should be plenty enough?
      Cheers,
      Agnes

      On 11/10/07, chad k <cchadk@...> wrote:

      --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, "dave gonzalez" <rantingdave@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, "sbc main" <cchadk@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Although I have not met, nor had the opportunity to climb with
      > anyone from the group, I present an invitation for a winter ascent
      of
      > Mt Whitney. Myself and a novice have planned a January 4,5,6 & 7
      > attempt, likely the Mountaineers' Route.
      > >Greetings, I would be interested in joining your group. I have
      been
      > on Whitney several times, but never from the mountaineers route.
      Have
      > snow and ice experience. I am waiting for a response from a
      friend
      > that is a fellow cmc member. Are you actually going for 4 days?
      > Cheers, Dave

      We are giving our selves plenty of time to summit safely. The days
      are short and the snow deep. Also, keeping aware that the weather
      may be a factor to slow us down. I had a near successful summit
      January this year, but ran out of time. It may take less than four
      days. Snow experience and the appropriate gear are mandatory.

      thanks
      chad

    • chad k
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 10, 2007
        A summit of Whitney can certainly be completed in even one day,
        spring, summer and fall. Although so far we have had a rather light
        snow pack, by January we may be blessed with lots of snow. The route
        may not have been broken, requiring show shoeing through thigh-high
        drifts. A storm(s) on the mountain may have to be weathered out. I
        have found that the Sierra's do not always cooperate with the
        weather forecasters. Yes, three days may be plenty enough, but I'm
        bringing a good book and enough fuel and Ramen for six days.

        chad

        --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, "Agnes Sauvage" <agnes.sauvage@...>
        wrote:

        > Im interested too, but also wondering if 4 days is not too much.
        you only
        > need a day in the summer, so 2-3 should be plenty enough?
        > Cheers,
        > Agnes
        >

        > On 11/10/07, chad k <cchadk@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com <SFCMC%40yahoogroups.com>, "dave
        gonzalez"
        > > <rantingdave@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com <SFCMC%40yahoogroups.com>, "sbc
        main"

        > > > anyone from the group, I present an invitation for a winter
        ascent
        > > of
        > > > Mt Whitney. Myself and a novice have planned a January 4,5,6 &
        7
        > > > attempt, likely the Mountaineers' Route.
        > > been
        > > > on Whitney several times, but never from the mountaineers
        route.
        > > Have
        > > > snow and ice experience. I am waiting for a response from a
        > > friend
        > > > that is a fellow cmc member. Are you actually going for 4 days?
        > > > Cheers, Dave
        > > >
        > > We are giving our selves plenty of time to summit safely. The
        days
        > > are short and the snow deep. Also, keeping aware that the weather
        > > may be a factor to slow us down. I had a near successful summit
        > > January this year, but ran out of time. It may take less than
        four
        > > days. Snow experience and the appropriate gear are mandatory.
        > >
        > > thanks
        > > chad

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 11, 2007
          I've made two trips on Whitney in the winter.  Four days should be the minimum unless you are especially proficient and efficient at snow/ice.  Please keep in mind that the days are short, the snow is deep, heavy and wet (Sierra cement - you will punch through by the creek below lower boy scout lake even in your snowshoes - the "ledges" there are ice covered and impassable in winter) and the road is NOT plowed, so plan on hiking 4+ miles on the road just to get to the trailhead.  Day 1 can be from wherever you can park your 4WD to lower boy scout lake.  Day 2 to iceberg lake (shorter day if you camp on the bench below to save hauling a relatively heavy pack up the steep class 3 grade that isn't always covered in snow (be comfortable doing class 3 mixed in your crampons), day 3 to summit, day 4 to hike out.  A fifth day can be added for contingency because it's likely one day will be a storm.  Just for reference it takes me ~ 6 hours from TH to Iceberg Lake in the summer with a lighter gear-free pack in summer.

          Have fun!

          Susan
        • chad k
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 11, 2007
            Susan
            I did experience the Mountaineers Route last winter. Fortunately I
            was able to drive all the way (tire chains and all-wheel drive) to
            the Portal and there was only snow on the ledges. Yes, we post holed
            (even with snow shoes) through the morain just above Lower Boy
            Scout. And the incline below Upper Boy was icy, but not
            insurmountable. If the conditions do not appear relatively safe then
            the main trail will be trod. Yeah, that pack is heavy slugging
            through the snow drifts.
            Yes, I too enjoyed the Mountaineers Route this summer with only a
            light pack and sunblock.

            chad

            --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, Susan <susan@...> wrote:

            > I've made two trips on Whitney in the winter. Four days should be
            the minimum unless you are especially proficient and efficient at
            snow/ice. Please keep in mind that the days are short, the snow is
            deep, heavy and wet (Sierra cement - you will punch through by the
            creek below lower boy scout lake even in your snowshoes -
            the "ledges" there are ice covered and impassable in winter) and the
            road is NOT plowed, so plan on hiking 4+ miles on the road just to
            get to the trailhead. Day 1 can be from wherever you can park your
            4WD to lower boy scout lake. Day 2 to iceberg lake (shorter day if
            you camp on the bench below to save hauling a relatively heavy pack
            up the steep class 3 grade that isn't always covered in snow (be
            comfortable doing class 3 mixed in your crampons), day 3 to summit,
            day 4 to hike out. A fifth day can be added for contingency because
            it's likely one day will be a storm. Just for reference it takes me
            ~ 6 hours from TH to Iceberg Lake in the summer
            > with a lighter gear-free pack in summer.
            >
            > Have fun!
            >
            > Susan

          • Tom Cronin
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 25, 2007
              Hi Chad, I stumbled across this web site. I have no idea who these
              people are? Looks like you might have some company on Whitney:

              http://surrealsummit.com/trips.aspx

              Sincerely, Tom Cronin

              --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, "chad k" <cchadk@...> wrote:

              > Susan
              > I did experience the Mountaineers Route last winter. Fortunately I
              > was able to drive all the way (tire chains and all-wheel drive) to
              > the Portal and there was only snow on the ledges. Yes, we post holed
              > (even with snow shoes) through the morain just above Lower Boy
              > Scout. And the incline below Upper Boy was icy, but not
              > insurmountable. If the conditions do not appear relatively safe then
              > the main trail will be trod. Yeah, that pack is heavy slugging
              > through the snow drifts.
              > Yes, I too enjoyed the Mountaineers Route this summer with only a
              > light pack and sunblock.
              >
              > chad
              >
              > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, Susan <susan@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've made two trips on Whitney in the winter. Four days should be
              > the minimum unless you are especially proficient and efficient at
              > snow/ice. Please keep in mind that the days are short, the snow is
              > deep, heavy and wet (Sierra cement - you will punch through by the
              > creek below lower boy scout lake even in your snowshoes -
              > the "ledges" there are ice covered and impassable in winter) and the
              > road is NOT plowed, so plan on hiking 4+ miles on the road just to
              > get to the trailhead. Day 1 can be from wherever you can park your
              > 4WD to lower boy scout lake. Day 2 to iceberg lake (shorter day if
              > you camp on the bench below to save hauling a relatively heavy pack
              > up the steep class 3 grade that isn't always covered in snow (be
              > comfortable doing class 3 mixed in your crampons), day 3 to summit,
              > day 4 to hike out. A fifth day can be added for contingency because
              > it's likely one day will be a storm. Just for reference it takes me
              > ~ 6 hours from TH to Iceberg Lake in the summer
              > > with a lighter gear-free pack in summer.
              > >
              > > Have fun!
              > >
              > > Susan

            • chad k
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 26, 2007
                Tom
                Thank you for the interesting web site. Their equipment list appears
                complete, although I would supplement the freeze dried foods with
                some fancy snacks/meals/ramen and tea bags. For the fresh, deep
                snow, snowshoes are on my list.
                I too have additional contingency days built in to my schedule (no
                rental car charges or airline flight to catch),I'll get home
                whenever.
                If I have no takers for the Mountaineers Route, I just might see
                that group along the tourist trail.

                chad, hanford

                --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Cronin" <tombcronin@...> wrote:

                > Hi Chad, I stumbled across this web site. I have no idea who these
                > people are? Looks like you might have some company on Whitney:
                >
                > http://surrealsummit.com/trips.aspx
                >
                > Sincerely, Tom Cronin
                >
                > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, "chad k" <cchadk@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Susan
                > > I did experience the Mountaineers Route last winter. Fortunately
                > > was able to drive all the way (tire chains and all-wheel drive)
                > > the Portal and there was only snow on the ledges. Yes, we post
                holed
                > > (even with snow shoes) through the morain just above Lower Boy
                > > Scout. And the incline below Upper Boy was icy, but not
                > > insurmountable. If the conditions do not appear relatively safe
                then
                > > the main trail will be trod. Yeah, that pack is heavy slugging
                > > through the snow drifts.
                > > Yes, I too enjoyed the Mountaineers Route this summer with only
                > > light pack and sunblock.
                > >
                > > chad
                > >
                > > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com, Susan <susan@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I've made two trips on Whitney in the winter. Four days
                should be
                > > the minimum unless you are especially proficient and efficient
                at
                > > snow/ice. Please keep in mind that the days are short, the snow
                is
                > > deep, heavy and wet (Sierra cement - you will punch through by
                the
                > > creek below lower boy scout lake even in your snowshoes -
                > > the "ledges" there are ice covered and impassable in winter) and
                the
                > > road is NOT plowed, so plan on hiking 4+ miles on the road just
                > > get to the trailhead. Day 1 can be from wherever you can park
                your
                > > 4WD to lower boy scout lake. Day 2 to iceberg lake (shorter day
                if
                > > you camp on the bench below to save hauling a relatively heavy
                pack
                > > up the steep class 3 grade that isn't always covered in snow (be
                > > comfortable doing class 3 mixed in your crampons), day 3 to
                summit,
                > > day 4 to hike out. A fifth day can be added for contingency
                because
                > > it's likely one day will be a storm. Just for reference it
                takes me
                > > ~ 6 hours from TH to Iceberg Lake in the summer
                > > > with a lighter gear-free pack in summer.
                > > >
                > > > Have fun!
                > > >
                > > > Susan

              • Clem Noname
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 26, 2007
                  Chad,

                  when are you heading to Whitney?

                  Joe
                  --- chad k <cchadk@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > on the road just
                  > > > get to the trailhead. Day 1 can be from
                  > wherever you can park
                  > your
                  > > > 4WD to lower boy scout lake. Day 2 to iceberg
                  > lake (shorter day
                  > if
                  > > > you camp on the bench below to save hauling a
                  > relatively heavy
                  > pack
                  > > > up the steep class 3 grade that isn't always
                  > covered in snow (be
                  > > > comfortable doing class 3 mixed in your
                  > crampons), day 3 to
                  > summit,
                  > > > day 4 to hike out. A fifth day can be added for
                  > contingency
                  > because
                  > > > it's likely one day will be a storm. Just for
                  > reference it
                  > takes me
                  > > > ~ 6 hours from TH to Iceberg Lake in the summer

                • chad k
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 26, 2007
                    Joe
                    Starting the expedition on January 4.

                    _______________
                    > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
                    > with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.

                  • Agnes Sauvage
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 26, 2007
                      Hey Chad,
                      How many people are planning to come, and would anybody be interested in starting a day early so that we can take advantage of the holidays on Jan 1/2 and not have to take the following Monday off? for me itll be easier to do Jan 3 to 6, but if im the only one thinking this way never mind!
                      Would be interested in the mountaineers route only.
                      Cheers,
                      Agnes

                      _______________
                      > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
                      > with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.

                    • chad k
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 26, 2007
                        Agnes
                        Hmm, my committed climbing partner and I could perhaps start on the
                        3rd. But we've already got requested days off from work on the
                        friday, saturday, sunday & monday, more after that, if necessary.
                        You know, if conditions cooperate, and we get alpine starts, the
                        climb could be completed early. Of course, we should not depend on
                        the weather cooperating.

                        wrote:

                        > Hey Chad,
                        > How many people are planning to come, and would anybody be
                        interested in
                        > starting a day early so that we can take advantage of the holidays
                        on Jan
                        > 1/2 and not have to take the following Monday off? for me itll be
                        easier to
                        > do Jan 3 to 6, but if im the only one thinking this way never mind!
                        > Would be interested in the mountaineers route only.
                        > Cheers,
                        > Agnes
                        >

                        > On 11/26/07, chad k <cchadk@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Joe
                        > > Starting the expedition on January 4.
                        > > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups.com <SFCMC%40yahoogroups.com>, Clem
                        Noname
                        > > <clavote@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Chad,
                        > > >

                        > > > when are you heading to Whitney?
                        > > >
                        > > > Joe

                        Cronin"

                        > > <cchadk@>

                        Susan
                        > > <susan@>

                        > > _______________
                        > > > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
                        > > > with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.
                        > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ

                      • dave gonzalez
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
                          Hi Chad,
                          I contacted you earlier regarding climbing Whitney (mountaineers route) in Jan.  I would be interested in joining your group if possible.  I also have two skilled friends that are interested, still working out the details with them.   Let me know what you think.  Thanks, Dave

                          wrote:

                          > Hey Chad,
                          > How many people are planning to come, and would anybody be
                          interested in
                          > starting a day early so that we can take advantage of the holidays
                          on Jan
                          > 1/2 and not have to take the following Monday off? for me itll be
                          easier to
                          > do Jan 3 to 6, but if im the only one thinking this way never
                          mind!
                          > Would be interested in the mountaineers route only.
                          > Cheers,
                          > Agnes
                          >

                          > On 11/26/07, chad k <cchadk@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Joe
                          > > Starting the expedition on January 4.
                          > > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups. com <SFCMC%40yahoogroup s.com>, Clem
                          Noname
                          > > <clavote@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Chad,
                          > > >

                          > > > when are you heading to Whitney?
                          > > >
                          > > > Joe

                          although I would supplement the freeze

                          href="http://s.com/" target=_blank>s.com>, "Tom
                          Cronin"

                          > > <cchadk@>

                          heavy slugging

                          Susan
                          > > <susan@>

                          boy scout lake. Day 2 to iceberg

                          > > ____________ ___
                          > > > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
                          > > > with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.
                          > > http://mobile. yahoo.com/ sports;_ylt= At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G 1SQtBI7ntAcJ

                        • sbc main
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
                            Dave

                            At this juncture it appears the one committed local person to go along with me is not so committed afterall.....ergo,,,,I am still going. If I go solo I will probably tag along with that Surreal Summit group (that Tom recently wrote of on the group board) on the tourist trail; the leader has stated that although full, I would be welcome for safety purposes. I am somewhat flexable on a start date of January 3 or 4. Skilled friends on the Mountaineers Route would be a tremendaous asset. I suppose as the departure date gets closer we would discuss group loads, compare our equipment lists, and exchange contact numbers.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
                              Hey Chad,
                              Sorry about your friend dropping out.  I am still interested in going, but only on the mtn route.  Florin contacted me and is interested in joining the group.  I have 2 other friends that are interested but have not commited to the trip as of yet.  Tony has made an winter ascent up the mtn route in the past and has good experience.  I'll drop you a line once we get closer and everyone commits.  Cheers, Dave

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                                Im still interested, but again only the mountaineers route, only with people with prior winter ascent/expedition experience, and only if were done by Sunday.
                                Pfuh thats a lot of conditions. If you dont hate me yet for writing this, pls keep in the loop.
                                Cheers, Agnes

                                wrote:

                                > Hey Chad,
                                > How many people are planning to come, and would anybody be
                                interested in
                                > starting a day early so that we can take advantage of the holidays
                                on Jan
                                > 1/2 and not have to take the following Monday off? for me itll be
                                easier to
                                > do Jan 3 to 6, but if im the only one thinking this way never mind!
                                > Would be interested in the mountaineers route only.
                                > Cheers,
                                > Agnes
                                >

                                > On 11/26/07, chad k <cchadk@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Joe
                                > > Starting the expedition on January 4.
                                > > --- In SFCMC@yahoogroups. com <SFCMC%40yahoogroup s.com>, Clem
                                Noname
                                > > <clavote@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Chad,
                                > > >

                                > > > when are you heading to Whitney?
                                > > >
                                > > > Joe

                                Cronin"

                                > > <cchadk@>

                                Susan
                                > > <susan@>

                                > > ____________ ___
                                > > > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
                                > > > with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.
                                > > http://mobile. yahoo.com/ sports;_ylt= At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G 1SQtBI7ntAcJ

                              • rob smith
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                                  I do. And I don't even know you. ;-)

                                  Rob

                                  --- Agnes Sauvage <agnes.sauvage@...> wrote:

                                  > Im still interested, but again only the mountaineers
                                  > route, only with people
                                  > with prior winter ascent/expedition experience, and
                                  > only if were done by
                                  > Sunday.
                                  > Pfuh thats a lot of conditions. If you dont hate me
                                  > yet for writing this,
                                  > pls keep in the loop.
                                  > Cheers, Agnes
                                  >

                                  > On 11/29/07, dave gonzalez <rantingdave@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hey Chad,
                                  > > Sorry about your friend dropping out. I am still
                                  > interested in going, but
                                  > > only on the mtn route. Florin contacted me and is
                                  > interested in joining the
                                  > > group. I have 2 other friends that are interested
                                  > but have not commited to
                                  > > the trip as of yet. Tony has made an winter
                                  > ascent up the mtn route in the
                                  > > past and has good experience. I'll drop you a
                                  > line once we get closer and
                                  > > everyone commits. Cheers, Dave

                                  === message truncated ===