Fwd: Action Alert: Government Shutdown Closes Climbing Areas

  • Emilie Cortes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013
      Quick and easy way for lazy dirtbag climbers to voice our disappointment...

      --
      Emilie Cortes, CFA, CAIA
      President, Call of the Wild Adventures, Inc.

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Access Fund" <af-enews@...>
      Date: October 1, 2013, 12:05:12 PM PDT
      To: "emilie cortes" <mountaineerchica@...>
      Subject: Action Alert: Government Shutdown Closes Climbing Areas

      Action Alert: Government Shutdown Closes Climbing Areas

      Dear emilie,

      A breakdown in budget negotiations has caused the federal government to shut down, closing access to many climbing areas across the country. “Essential services” will continue without a budget, but access to federal public lands is now closed at hundreds of locations including iconic climbing areas like Yosemite, Red Rocks, and Rocky Mountain National Park.

      National Parks close today and visitors will have 48 hours to leave. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management employees will be furloughed. Any climbing area requiring staff (i.e., with an entrance gate such as Red Rocks near Las Vegas) are likely to be closed as well.

      Congress needs to hear how the government shutdown affects their constituents. Use our easy-to-use letter writing tool to contact your Senators and US House Representative to tell them that the government shutdown is having real consequences to your access to public lands.

      Sincerely,

      Your Friends at Access Fund

      Remove yourself from this mailing.

      Remove yourself from all mailings from The Access Fund.
    • mark_phagan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013
        Shouldn't access to climbing areas be considered an "Essential Service"?

        Mark