bear canisters

  • Paul Minault
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 2013
      All,

          For those of you who have backpacked with plastic bear-proof food canisters and cursed the weight (and found you couldn't get all your stuff in one anyway), I urge you to consider the Ursack if you haven't already.  It's a light weight food bag made from bullet proof fabric and has been approved for use in by some federal forests (but not Yosemite--yet).   For more info, go to:  http://www.ursack.com/

          For climbers, there's also the Ursack Minor, a rodent-proof bag you can put your food in at the base of the crag and look forward to finding intact it when you get back down--without the hole in your daypack and the wrappers strewn all over the ground.

          OH, and Tom Cohen, who invented and developed the Ursack is a family friend and gave me a break when I got mine!  You should be so lucky.

      Paul

    • Chris Kantarjiev
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 24, 2013
        I love my ursack, but I mostly consider it rodent-proof, not bear proof.
        Mine has the aluminum liner, but I don't often use it.

        As far as I know, they are *not* approved in any form for use in Yosemite?
      • Paul Minault
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2013
          Correct.  The website explains that bears have dull teeth but rodent teeth are sharp and can get through the regular ursack.  Hence the "Minor" model.