RE: I fell in a crevasse on Hotlum Glacier while climbing solo

  • Bill Parker
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2012

      Marek,

      I’m glad you survived to tell us this story. Each man’s sense of acceptable risk is his alone. Even in the most mundane of tasks, accidents can occur. I’m reminded of the story of Stickeen by John Muir, chronicling an adventure he had with his friend’s dog on an Alaskan Glacier. Where some may have read the story and shouted “you fool”, others read it with awe, respect, and a deeper understanding of the man that has made such an impact on our world. It sounds to me like you are looking back on it with sobering judgment, evaluating where things went south, as a good mountaineer should, from the over confidence/under estimation of the jump to the decision to be ambiguous about your itinerary. I think we can all learn something about ourselves from your adventure. Thank you for sharing this story.

      It is a sober reminder to me that the mountain can be a very cathartic place on a solo adventure and it can also be the most unforgiving.

      Welcome back,

      Bill

      Bill Parker (parkerwp@...)

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2012
        The "Here-is-how-it-happened-if-you-car-to-read" link is not working here.
        My car can't read, by the way, though I've been training it for decades.
        Camster (Rhymes with Hamster)

        > Marek,
        >

        > I'm glad you survived to tell us this story. Each man's sense of
        > acceptable
        > risk is his alone. Even in the most mundane of tasks, accidents can occur.
        > I'm reminded of the story of Stickeen by John Muir, chronicling an
        > adventure
        > he had with his friend's dog on an Alaskan Glacier. Where some may have
        > read
        > the story and shouted "you fool", others read it with awe, respect, and a
        > deeper understanding of the man that has made such an impact on our world.
        > It sounds to me like you are looking back on it with sobering judgment,
        > evaluating where things went south, as a good mountaineer should, from the
        > over confidence/under estimation of the jump to the decision to be
        > ambiguous
        > about your itinerary. I think we can all learn something about ourselves
        > from your adventure. Thank you for sharing this story.
        >

        > It is a sober reminder to me that the mountain can be a very cathartic
        > place
        > on a solo adventure and it can also be the most unforgiving.
        >

        > Welcome back,
        >

        > Bill
        >

        > Bill Parker (parkerwp@...)

      • Marek D.