Re: CMG: Re: I fell in a crevasse on Hotlum Glacier while climbing solo

  • Serge Melle
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2012
      i guess this is all a matter of interpretation.

      can one free solo while climbing safe?  one could say "yes - i don't free solo drunk or during rain-storms", or one could argue that free soloing and safety are anathema to each other to stat with, and thus incompatible.

      the same could be said about crevasse-hopping while alone and without any form of belay, where survival depends on zero accidents happening, because the activity is in itself inherently dangerous.

      personally i think you are lucky to be alive, mainly based on the crevasse being narrow enough to have enabled you to arrest your fall before you got in too deep.  slightly different conditions and you would now be on your way to being a human popsicle.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2012

        Marek,

        I’m glad you survived to tell us this story. Each man’s sense of acceptable risk is his alone. Even in the most mundane of tasks, accidents can occur. I’m reminded of the story of Stickeen by John Muir, chronicling an adventure he had with his friend’s dog on an Alaskan Glacier. Where some may have read the story and shouted “you fool”, others read it with awe, respect, and a deeper understanding of the man that has made such an impact on our world. It sounds to me like you are looking back on it with sobering judgment, evaluating where things went south, as a good mountaineer should, from the over confidence/under estimation of the jump to the decision to be ambiguous about your itinerary. I think we can all learn something about ourselves from your adventure. Thank you for sharing this story.

        It is a sober reminder to me that the mountain can be a very cathartic place on a solo adventure and it can also be the most unforgiving.

        Welcome back,

        Bill

        Bill Parker (parkerwp@...)

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2012
          The "Here-is-how-it-happened-if-you-car-to-read" link is not working here.
          My car can't read, by the way, though I've been training it for decades.
          Camster (Rhymes with Hamster)

          > Marek,
          >

          > I'm glad you survived to tell us this story. Each man's sense of
          > acceptable
          > risk is his alone. Even in the most mundane of tasks, accidents can occur.
          > I'm reminded of the story of Stickeen by John Muir, chronicling an
          > adventure
          > he had with his friend's dog on an Alaskan Glacier. Where some may have
          > read
          > the story and shouted "you fool", others read it with awe, respect, and a
          > deeper understanding of the man that has made such an impact on our world.
          > It sounds to me like you are looking back on it with sobering judgment,
          > evaluating where things went south, as a good mountaineer should, from the
          > over confidence/under estimation of the jump to the decision to be
          > ambiguous
          > about your itinerary. I think we can all learn something about ourselves
          > from your adventure. Thank you for sharing this story.
          >

          > It is a sober reminder to me that the mountain can be a very cathartic
          > place
          > on a solo adventure and it can also be the most unforgiving.
          >

          > Welcome back,
          >

          > Bill
          >

          > Bill Parker (parkerwp@...)

        • Marek D.