Re: CMG: Taboose Pass trail info?

  • Eric O'Rafferty
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21, 2012
      I've done it as well, but it was in winter and I think the camping options were probably a bit different.  :-)  As I recall, we camped in a bowl around 9.600'.  It was -5 F that night!  It was a good place to be then and I suspect it might be a good location in snow-less conditions.

      Can't speak for the actual trail up higher (the lower trail was fine IMHO), but I found the journey an enjoyable trip up and down.

      On the way down, there's a cinder cone out near the 395 you can watch go from minuscule to towering.

      Come to think of it, the most bone jarring part for me was the drive from the trailhead down that road to the 395! :-)

      Good luck!
      On Jul 17, 2012, at 2:36 PM, gusyates@... wrote:

      I am planning a southern Sierra backpacking trip in a couple of weeks will end with a descent of the Taboose Pass trail. It has a notorious reputation as one of the big ugly east side passes, so I was thinking of breaking up the descent by camping partway down.

      Does anyone know if there are any points along the trail between the pass and the trailhead where camping might be feasible?

      Also, I heard a rumor that sections of the trail cross ankle-twisting, cobblestone-sized rocks. True? For what distance?

      My party will include a bunch of 13-15 year-olds, and I don't want them to have too miserable a time.....

      Thanks for the beta,

      Gus Yates
      gusyates@...

      Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk of them, and Champagne makes you do them. — Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin