Re: CMG: Taboose Pass trail info?

  • lechassuer@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2012
      At least two areas for camping, on a third of the way down and another a little more than halfway.  It is no more or less an ankle twister than other rocky Sierra passes, however it is twice as long so twice as many opportunities x the fatigue factor....Have you ever tried to stop teenagers or (or many adults for that matter) from making it to the car when it is close enough to see?

      With that in mind there are many (fairly exposed campsites just west of the pass, as in a half mile from the top.

      Enjoy

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 17, 2012, at 2:36 PM, gusyates@... wrote:

      I am planning a southern Sierra backpacking trip in a couple of weeks will end with a descent of the Taboose Pass trail. It has a notorious reputation as one of the big ugly east side passes, so I was thinking of breaking up the descent by camping partway down.

      Does anyone know if there are any points along the trail between the pass and the trailhead where camping might be feasible?

      Also, I heard a rumor that sections of the trail cross ankle-twisting, cobblestone-sized rocks. True? For what distance?

      My party will include a bunch of 13-15 year-olds, and I don't want them to have too miserable a time.....

      Thanks for the beta,

      Gus Yates
      gusyates@...

    • Eric O'Rafferty
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2012
        I've done it as well, but it was in winter and I think the camping options were probably a bit different.  :-)  As I recall, we camped in a bowl around 9.600'.  It was -5 F that night!  It was a good place to be then and I suspect it might be a good location in snow-less conditions.

        Can't speak for the actual trail up higher (the lower trail was fine IMHO), but I found the journey an enjoyable trip up and down.

        On the way down, there's a cinder cone out near the 395 you can watch go from minuscule to towering.

        Come to think of it, the most bone jarring part for me was the drive from the trailhead down that road to the 395! :-)

        Good luck!
        On Jul 17, 2012, at 2:36 PM, gusyates@... wrote:

        I am planning a southern Sierra backpacking trip in a couple of weeks will end with a descent of the Taboose Pass trail. It has a notorious reputation as one of the big ugly east side passes, so I was thinking of breaking up the descent by camping partway down.

        Does anyone know if there are any points along the trail between the pass and the trailhead where camping might be feasible?

        Also, I heard a rumor that sections of the trail cross ankle-twisting, cobblestone-sized rocks. True? For what distance?

        My party will include a bunch of 13-15 year-olds, and I don't want them to have too miserable a time.....

        Thanks for the beta,

        Gus Yates
        gusyates@...

        Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk of them, and Champagne makes you do them. — Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin