RR event tonight May 1 - Sierra Winter Alpine Ice Climbing

  • Tom Cronin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2012

      • BBQ Potluck!

        May Slideshow: Sierra Winter Alpine Ice Climbing
        I'll present a slideshow of some unusual ice climbing opportunities that we had in the Sierra this past winter. Because conditions were so dry, the range was unusually accessible for mountaineering. Lack of snow also allowed lots of water ice to form in couloirs that would normally be ski descents that time of year. I'll present a show about some winter car-to-car climbs that I did around New Years. Climbs covered will include:

        North Face of Mt Dade (AI2, cl. 4)

        Kindergarten Couloir on Checkered Demon (AI2)

        NE Couloir of Mt Dade (AI2, cl. 4)

        Tenaya Lake FA? :-)

        Extra: A winter climb up the Petit Griffon a year earlier, around the same time. An interesting outing in itself, this is in the same area as Dade & provides a good contrast for what a normal year is like in the Rock Creek drainage.

        http://www.facebook.com/events/233531810087628/