Re: CMG: Half Dome in December? Cables route

  • ThomasG
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2011
      When the cables come down, they are not removed. The posts that hold them are removed, along with the boards that go across the posts and provide a welcome resting spot. When I went up years ago in November, in dry, snow-free conditions, we just grabbed the cables and bat-manned it up, wearing cheap work gloves for the cold cables. If there were snow or verglas (I doubt any reasonably climbable ice would form there) I expect it would be rather sporty.

      My two cents is leather boots that are good for scrambling and suitable for kicking into snow. I suppose you could throw a pair of climbing shoes in as well. For "garments" I'd suggest standard Sierra snowcamping kit.

      If there is deep snow early season, you'd undoubtedly find sections of posthole conditions on the trip in; for me that would suggest snowshoes. As you probably know, the final approach to the base of the cables has steep dropoffs; in icy conditions that could be the crux. If you do go, be safe, and post a trip report.

      --- In CMG@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

      > I'm in Bali right now and a little fried from the heat so maybe I am not thinking or reading straight, but I would think that an essential part of your winter gear for climbing ( the cable route) HD might be about THREE body bags . . . I think the cables come down in the winter months for a reason.
      >
      > Bob
      >

      > To: CMG@yahoogroups.com
      > From: bisonsandufos@...
      > Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 20:59:59 +0000
      > Subject: CMG: Half Dome in December? Cables route

      > I may be crazy but I really want to try this but can't dig up any good info.
      >

      > I have ice axes, crampons, and the majority of the gear. Planning on going up the cables route.
      >

      > I'll be taking two friends with me.
      >

      > Any thoughts on how you would outfit yourselves in terms of boots and garments? Snow shoes necessary?
      >

      > Thank you for any help or links!
      >

      > Best,
      >

      > Adam

    • Buddy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
        The cables themselves are still there, but the posts that hold them up are gone. Thus the cable will be laying on the rock and covered by snow.

        -Buddy

        Sent from my iPhone