Re: Half Dome in December? Cables route

  • Brandon Earhart
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2011
      I would say that it's totally doable as the cables don't actually get removed in the winter months.....they simply remove the posts and timbers....the cables themselves are permanently attached but will be laying down. Now the thing to consider seriously will be your skill and experience as well as that of your group.

      I've done it late in the season with light snow on the ground and no ice, but not as late as December. I know of a few folks who have gone up the Snake Route in mid-winter and descended the cables but these guys are seasoned mountaineers who are intimately familiar with the route and the seasonal conditions there.

      I would say to be honest with yourself and be willing to recognize if the conditions are over your head. Depending on how much snow the area has received by then snowshoes might be needed, boots/crampons may be necessary and an ice axe wouldn't be a bad idea either way. Another thing to consider might be the use of harnesses and connectors but then we get into the debate of whether they'll provide a level of protection or be a distraction from your primary focus of not falling!!! So if you decide on protection be sure you understand the concept/style of dual connections used in Via Ferrata.

      The days will be short so you'll either have to commit to doing a good chunk of the journey by headlamp or plan on an overnight at LYV. If doing it it one big push you'll want to travel light but be prepared for the worst weather as it can change rapidly.

      Above all else don't do anything foolish.....if the weather doesn't agree or the conditions are beyond your ability make sure you live to do it another day on your terms when the conditions are more favorable. Hope that helps.

      Sent from my Precious
    • ThomasG
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2011
        When the cables come down, they are not removed. The posts that hold them are removed, along with the boards that go across the posts and provide a welcome resting spot. When I went up years ago in November, in dry, snow-free conditions, we just grabbed the cables and bat-manned it up, wearing cheap work gloves for the cold cables. If there were snow or verglas (I doubt any reasonably climbable ice would form there) I expect it would be rather sporty.

        My two cents is leather boots that are good for scrambling and suitable for kicking into snow. I suppose you could throw a pair of climbing shoes in as well. For "garments" I'd suggest standard Sierra snowcamping kit.

        If there is deep snow early season, you'd undoubtedly find sections of posthole conditions on the trip in; for me that would suggest snowshoes. As you probably know, the final approach to the base of the cables has steep dropoffs; in icy conditions that could be the crux. If you do go, be safe, and post a trip report.

        --- In CMG@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

        > I'm in Bali right now and a little fried from the heat so maybe I am not thinking or reading straight, but I would think that an essential part of your winter gear for climbing ( the cable route) HD might be about THREE body bags . . . I think the cables come down in the winter months for a reason.
        >
        > Bob
        >

        > To: CMG@yahoogroups.com
        > From: bisonsandufos@...
        > Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 20:59:59 +0000
        > Subject: CMG: Half Dome in December? Cables route

        > I may be crazy but I really want to try this but can't dig up any good info.
        >

        > I have ice axes, crampons, and the majority of the gear. Planning on going up the cables route.
        >

        > I'll be taking two friends with me.
        >

        > Any thoughts on how you would outfit yourselves in terms of boots and garments? Snow shoes necessary?
        >

        > Thank you for any help or links!
        >

        > Best,
        >

        > Adam

      • Buddy
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2011
          The cables themselves are still there, but the posts that hold them up are gone. Thus the cable will be laying on the rock and covered by snow.

          -Buddy

          Sent from my iPhone