Rock, Ice & Mountain Club

  • rimfounder
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2010
      Happy New Year

      The Rock Ice Mountain Club
      Jan 4th, Santa Rosa, CA, 7:30pm

      James Martin: Discovering Namibia

      James will be showing numerous images from different parts of the country and discussing the discoveries that he's made on his previous 2 trips. He is putting together a 2011 expedition to climb a big granite wall in the Erongo mountains. After the slides, he will be showing Majka Burkhardt's 30 minute film "Waypoint Namibia" which features her experiences with the culture and climbing in Namibia.

      James' BIO: "I started climbing when I turned 16, got my drivers license and knew where I wanted to go, drove straight to Lover's Leap! I've gone in and out of climbing a lot, really hard stuff and then not climbing for a couple years but I always describe myself as a rock climber.
      I've been an editorial/magazine style photojournalist for about 20 years, trying to tell stories, convey my experiences in images that try to capture all that is there, culture, beauty and ruggedness of that place. Most of my photo trips have been international but in 2006 I self-published my first book; "The Islands of San Francisco Bay". I spent 5 years and a little over $100K to produce it. Recently I gave my 75th "Islands" slide show and I'm almost sold out of books! I'd like to do another book on my magazine work but we'll see!"

      Location: Round Table Pizza, 2065 Occidental Road, Santa Rosa
      Time & Date: Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 @ 7:30 PM (Social hours and free beer for members at 6:30)

      Directions: From Highway 101 at Santa Rosa go west on Highway 12 to Stony Point Road Exit. Go straight from the middle lane at the light onto Occidental Road. The Round Table Pizza is on the right just down the road.

      http://www.rockicemountain.org