Rock, Ice & Mountain Clubs General Meeting

  • rimfounder
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2010
      Rock Ice & Mountain Club November Meeting: Dan Morse, Journeys in Nepal

      Location: Round Table Pizza, 2065 Occidental Road, Santa Rosa
      Time & Date: Tuesday, November 2, 7:30 PM (Social hours and free beer for members at 6:30)
      Directions: From Highway 101 at Santa Rosa go west on Highway 12 to Stony Point Road Exit. Go straight from the middle lane at the light onto Occidental Road. The Round Table Pizza is on the right just down the road.
      > Come join us for a show by our own Dan Morse, who just returned from Nepal, visiting Kathmandu, Pochura, and completing a trek in Lo Manthang of 130 kilometers (about 80 miles) over 16 days.
      > Lo Manthang is a medieval walled city and Village Development Committee in Mustang District in the Dhawalagiri Zone of northern Nepal. Even though foreign visitors have been allowed in the kingdom since 1992, tourism to Upper Mustang remains limited, with just over 2000 foreign tourists in 2008. To step through the gateway of the fabled walled city of Lo Manthang is like stepping into Tibet 5 centuries ago, with its Royal Palace, aristocrats on splendid horses, and its culture and customs. Although the modern world is rapidly catching up with this remote kingdom, much of its traditional way of life still remains. The city is surrounded by a rocky desert of wind-eroded red-gold cliffs and pinnacles, a testament to the ingenuity of the Lo-ba, as the inhabitants call themselves, as they were able to develop a prosperous community in the midst of this barren desert, mainly through their trade.
      > November 6: American Alpine Club Climbing at Castle Rock and Party
      > November 11 (Thursday): Warren Miller's Wintervention at LBC http://wellsfargocenterarts.org/tickets/calendar/view.aspx?id=308
      > December 5: AAC Holiday Dinner at Spengers's
      > January 28-30: AAC Lost Trail Lodge Ice Climbing
      > See here for all info on the AAC events: http://rockicemountain.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=965
      > Membership in the Rock Ice and Mountain Club is $20 annually (or $25 for a family membership). Please bring check or cash to the show next week.
      > Membership benefits include organized climbing and mountaineering trip, and miscellaneous coupons (varies over time) from places like Hood Mountain Adventures and Vertex Indoor Climbing Gym. Current members also get a pro-deal with Mountainsmith.
      > The Rock Ice and Mountain Club is the North Bay's premiere climbing and back country club. Founded in 1994, we provide climbing opportunities and networking to the North San Francisco Bay community through frequent outings and monthly gatherings. Our free monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of each month have featured lecture and slide presentations by members and world class climbers like: David Wilson, Glenn Denny, The Benegas Brothers, Tom Cole, R.D. Coran, Jerry Dodrill, Armin Fisher, Hans Florine, Jacqueline Florine, Tom Shore, John Hart, Josh Helling, Bob Hoffman, Kevin Jorgensen, Robert Link, Doug Robinson, Tom McMillan, Chris McNamara, Royal Robbins, Ron Kauk, Chris Jones, Doug Stoup, Corey Rich, Ed Cooper and special events with Conrad Anker, Galen Rowell and Andy Selters.

      Recent shows have included accounts of climbing in Nepal, Tibet, Russia, the Sierra Nevada, Europe and Bhutan. The club organizes trips in Sonoma County, the Cascades, the Sierra, climbing areas like Red Rocks, Smith Rock and Tuolumne Meadows.