Community efforts by the AAC

  • rimfounder
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      I have been at the last two American Alpine Club, Sierra Nevada Section, gatherings this year. The one in Tuolumne had a great turn out of local members. It was great to sit around the fire and tell stories about ones latest climbing exploits and comment on world affairs. Then meet up and go climbing the next day. The group camp site and booze was paid for by the club as well as the snacks served up by the section chair Tom Burch.

      Soon after that the American Alpine Club did it again. This time at Donner Summit. But wow, what a treat this was. The camping was free for members, two workshops by climbing legend Bela Vadasz of ASI and Dave Riggs; free. But here is the clincher. A free dinner, free beer, free music and a free killer presentation by Tommy Caldwell. Not just for members but for anyone who showed up, free. And there was over a hundred people feed and enjoying themselves. Sunday morning back at camp Britney Griffin made chocolate crepes for everyone present.

      In the effort to create community, the AAC out did themselves proving beyond doubt the concern they have for us as a whole not just AAC members. Their efforts to recognize a need and to organize events for all of us. This has galvanized my desire to be part of an ever changing seriously diverse group of people called climber as well as remain a member of the club.

      I have in the past used my dirt bag status as an excuse to not pay tribute. But more and more I am seeing that the dues are actually doing something for our community that I can participate in. And its not too late to be part of yet another event put on by the AAC; the annual Pinecrest Climb-in September 11-12. For more information on this and other things going on go to the AAC website: http://www.americanalpineclub.org/section/sierranevada or you can contact Karen at zzkarenzz@... for the Pinecrest Climb-in specifically