Rock Ice & Mountain Club May Meeting: Steven Curtis

  • rimfounder
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2010
      Rock Ice & Mountain Club May Meeting: Steven Curtis

      Location: Round Table Pizza, 2065 Occidental Road, Santa Rosa
      Time & Date: Tuesday, April 6, 7:30 PM (Social hours and free beer for members at 6:30)
      Directions: From Highway 101 at Santa Rosa go west on Highway 12 to Stony Point Road Exit. Go straight from the middle lane at the light onto Occidental Road. The Round Table Pizza is on the right just down the road.

      > Steven Curtis was born in Petaluma on property his grandfather's great grandfather bought; after a long time living elsewhere (he hasn't lived here since 1978) he recently returned on 29 April intending to stay. He is a 52 year old retired air force prosthodontist with 27 years of service, board certified in 1994 and elected to the American Board of Prosthodontists in 2007. In his own words:
      >
      > "My biggest achievement is raising three successful children, and keeping my wife and career while living a double life as a part time dirt bag climber. I am your weekend warrior plus. My most notable climbs are the Nose in 16 hours, and Half Dome RR in 7 hours (different days) with Dennis Strom, plus long hard speed rope solos in Europe. Especially memorable was rope soloing Fiesta de Biceps in Riglos. I got there before the old 1/4 bolts were replaced. Recently, days are filled with drier and stove ducting, fence repair, and wood sheds. I count minutes.
      >
      > New Routes:
      >
      > About 50 in Okinawa.
      > 4 in Germany
      > 25 plus in Virginia
      > 10 plus in Honduras
      > 1 in Colorado plus variations of the lost in the Black Canyon, one of which cost about $500 in bail gear to save our hides.
      > My climbing is not defined by quality but by quantity. I perform well in the 5.10-12 B range and have done several thousand routes in Asia, Europe, Canada, Mexico, Central America and Eastern and western United States"
      >
      > FUTURE SHOWS and TRIPS
      >
      > May 21-21: Royal Robbins Show and Mt. St. Helena Appreciation Day, see website or click here for details: rockicemountain.org/_Media/rimposter.jpg
      > See RIM on-line calendar at http://rockicemountain.org/calendar.html for up-to-the-minute details and events. Post your own events and check out other local outdoor events, shows, etc.
      >

      > MEMBERSHIP
      >
      > Membership in the Rock Ice and Mountain Club is $20 annually (or $25 for a family membership). Please bring check or cash to the show next week.
      >
      > Membership benefits include organized climbing and mountaineering trip, and miscellaneous coupons (varies over time) from places like Hood Mountain Adventures and Vertex Indoor Climbing Gym. Current members also get a pro-deal with Mountainsmith.

> [...]

      Recent shows have included accounts of climbing in Nepal, Tibet, Russia, the Sierra Nevada, Europe and Bhutan. The club organizes trips in Sonoma County, the Cascades, the Sierra, climbing areas like Red Rocks, Smith Rock and Tuolumne Meadows.