Rock, Ice & mountain Club presents

  • rimfounder
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 12:20 AM
      Rock Ice & Mountain Club April Meeting: Kurt Jensen, Climbing in El Portrero Chico

      Location: Round Table Pizza, 2065 Occidental Road, Santa Rosa
      Time & Date: Tuesday, April 6, 7:30 PM (Social hours and free beer for members at 6:30)
      Directions: From Highway 101 at Santa Rosa go west on Highway 12 to Stony Point Road Exit. Go straight from the middle lane at the light onto Occidental Road. The Round Table Pizza is on the right just down the road.

      > Kurt's show will be about limestone climbing in El Portrero Chico, Mexico and Southern Thailand. He'll cover the sport climbing,both single and multipitch of El Portrero and Thailand, and deep water solo of Thailand, and give an overview for climbers of what to expect and compare and contrast the two destinations which are both popular fun climbing winter crags.
      >
      > He travelled recently to El Portrero with climbing partner Eric Berghorn. He also climbed in Thailand on two separate trips.
      >
      > Kurt's climbing resume includes Denali with Kendall Ermsharr, Reg. NW face of Half Dome with Jerry Dodrill, The Prow with Eric Berghorn, Inverted Staircase in Tuolomne, as well as OZ, and many others, scattered around California, Nevada, Mexico, Thailand, Alaska, Argentina.
      >
      > Photo by Kurt Jensen, a climber in El Portrero Chico
      > Photo by Kurt Jensen, Climber at El Portrero Chico
      >
      > FUTURE SHOWS and TRIPS
      >
      > See RIM on-line calendar at http://rockicemountain.org/calendar.html for up-to-the-minute details and events. Post your own events and check out other local outdoor events, shows, etc.
      >

      > MEMBERSHIP
      >
      > Membership in the Rock Ice and Mountain Club is $20 annually (or $25 for a family membership). Please bring check or cash to the show next week.
      >
      > Membership benefits include organized climbing and mountaineering trip, and miscellaneous coupons (varies over time) from places like Hood Mountain Adventures and Vertex Indoor Climbing Gym. Current members also get a pro-deal with Mountainsmith.
      >
      > The Rock Ice and Mountain Club is the North Bay's premiere climbing and back country club. Founded in 1994, we provide climbing opportunities and networking to the North San Francisco Bay community through frequent outings and monthly gatherings. Our free monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of each month have featured lecture and slide presentations by members and world class climbers like: David Wilson, Glenn Denny, The Benegas Brothers, Tom Cole, R.D. Coran, Jerry Dodrill, Armin Fisher, Hans Florine, Jacqueline Florine, Tom Shore, John Hart, Josh Helling, Bob Hoffman, Kevin Jorgensen, Robert Link, Doug Robinson, Tom McMillan, Chris McNamara, Royal Robbins, Ron Kauk, Chris Jones, Doug Stoup, Corey Rich, Ed Cooper and special events with Conrad Anker, Galen Rowell and Andy Selters.

      Recent shows have included accounts of climbing in Nepal, Tibet, Russia, the Sierra Nevada, Europe and Bhutan. The club organizes trips in Sonoma County, the Cascades, the Sierra, climbing areas like Red Rocks, Smith Rock and Tuolumne Meadows.