Presidents Day Skiing

  • Garrick Meeker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2010
      I'm thinking about organizing a two day ski trip on Feb 13th and 14th (although you can stay out on the 15th if you want). Does this interest anyone? One thought is to summit Pyramid Peak and possibly head further into Desolation Wilderness or summit another peak or even Ralston. That would be a bit strenuous and require a permit. An easier trip might be to camp near the top of Relay Peak (Mt Rose area) and ski runs off there. I've also wanted to do an overnight trip around Mt Houghton (camping in the saddle to Mt Rose) but I think I'd rather do that later in the season.

      Any suggestions before I put it on the calendar? I think beacons and winter camping experience are necessary for this one but the skiing shouldn't be too advanced. I'm not sure about the feasibility of snowboards or snowshoes for either of these, but I do recall some flat sections going to Relay Peak.
    • Garrick Meeker
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2010
        On second thought, Pyramid Peak and Desolation Wilderness seems like a lot of elevation gain and not very interesting terrain. A longer trip further into the wilderness would probably be more interesting.

        So, I think I'll head to Relay Peak near Mt Rose. It's 3.9 mi 1498' of gain along a road to the 10,338' summit. The wilderness starts at the ridge. We can camp near the summit and ski the west bowl or the steep chutes off the subpeak to the west. We should be able to make several runs on Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday afternoon we'll return to camp and ski down the south ridge or east face back to the cars.

        Let me know if you're interested.