Cordilera Real (Illimani and more) June 2010

  • Alfred Kwok
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2009
      I am signing up for a 3-part mountaineering/alpine climbing / Illimani expedition in Cordilera Real in Bolivia, run by the American Alpine Institute (AAI) in June 2010, and would like the company of other CMGers. AAI run 3 trips (Jun, Jul, Aug). I can't do the Jul trip and picked the Jun one over the Aug one because T-storms are more common in August. I learned how to climb from AAI (when I was living on the E coast) and have subsequently taken an alpine ice class from them, and I have nothing but great things to say about the company and their guides.

      The trip consist of 3 parts:
      (1) Seven days of trekking (for acclimatization)
      (2) Ten days of (a) Intro Alpine Mtineering (for those with little previous mtneering experience) or (b) Intermediate Ice Climbing Practice (for those with significant previous mtneering experience). Both (a) and (b) will include summitting two, and possibly three, peaks between 17,000 ft. and 18,000 ft. in the Condoriri Lake District, as well as an attempt on Huyana Potosi (20,000')
      (3) Five days of an expedition to climb Illimani (21,201 ft.), the highest peak in the Cordilera Real
      The cost for all 3 parts is $4340 ...
      You can just do part 1 & 2, or even just part 2 if you spend a few days by yourself in/near La Paz acclimatizing

      For more details, please see:
      Part 1: http://www.aai.cc/ProgramDetail/bolivia_trek/
      Part 2: http://www.aai.cc/ProgramDetail/bolivia_mountaineering/
      Part 3: http://www.aai.cc/ProgramDetail/bolivia_illimani/

      If you're interested in joining the trip or have any quesitons, please send me an an email or call AAI at 360-671-1505...

      Cheers,
      Alfred (alfred.kwok@...)