RIM Club Tuesday 6

  • rimfounder
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009
      Upcoming RIM Club Events!
      Please share this email with friends and family.

      October 6, 2009
      Ed Drummond: Between a Rock and a Soft Place--A Climber's Life on the Rocks. He could use a ride from the city too. His number is (415) 285-0203

      From Ed: "As an aging climber fledging from the egg of the ego into the dust cloud of consciousness that I take to be the breath of death, I see that a major theme for me has been attempting to balance a life on the ground with one on the heights, the masculine with the feminine, tenderness and vulnerability, the hard realism of the rock face with the soft touch of the divine imagination. Between a Rock and a Soft Place is an autobiographical account of my searches in the labyrinth for the monster, Answer, as to why on Earth we're here and what in heaven we're supposed to do before we're not.

      I shall attempt to give birth to these and other personal quandra in story and poem, accompanied by the Harrison Hood choir when necessary."

      Ed Drummond, legendary big wall climber and writer, achieved daring first ascents in the 70s including Arch Wall on the Troll Wall in Norway, St John's Head in Scotland, and a solo ascent of El Cap's Nose. He is also known for using his climbing skills to feature political causes, such as an anti-apartheid protest on Trafalgar Column and other buildings in the US in support of civil rights causes ("social-political buildering"). Please join us for a climbing and literary extravaganza this Tuesday.

      WHERE AND WHEN

      Meetings are the first Tuesday of every month at 7:30 PM at the Round Table Pizza at 2065 Occidental Road.

      For members only! Social hour and set-up begins at 6:30 with free beer for members only. If you haven't signed up yet, join up when you get here.

      Directions:
      From Highway 101 at Santa Rosa go west on Highway 12 to Stony Point Road Exit. Go straight from the middle lane at the light onto Occidental Road. The Round Table Pizza is on the right just down the road.

      FUTURE SHOWS and TRIPS

      See RIM on-line calendar at http://rockicemountain.org/calendar.html for up-to-the-minute details and events. Post your own events and check out other local outdoor events, shows, etc.

      Oct 9--11: RIM Club Camping Trip to Yosemite Valley. Contact Celeste at celdecker@... to reserve your spot now!

      Nov 3: Ammon McNeely, the El Cap Pirate (53 times by 39 routes)

      Dec 1: Alex Honnold, free soloed Half Dome last September (http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/200905/el-capitan-no-ropes.html) What's next?

      MEMBERSHIP

      Membership in the Rock Ice and Mountain Club is $20 annually (or $25 for a family membership). Please bring check or cash to the show next week.

      Membership benefits include organized climbing and mountaineering trips, 10% off climbing gear at Sonoma Outfitters, and miscellaneous coupons (varies over time) from places like Hood Mountain Adventures and Vertex Indoor Climbing Gym. Current members also get a pro-deal with Mountainsmith.

      The Rock Ice and Mountain Club is the North Bay's premiere climbing and back country club. Founded in 1994, we provide climbing opportunities and networking to the North San Francisco Bay community through frequent outings and monthly gatherings. Our free monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of each month have featured lecture and slide presentations by members and world class climbers like: David Wilson, Glenn Denny, The Benegas Brothers, Tom Cole, R.D. Coran, Jerry Dodrill, Armin Fisher, Hans Florine, Jacqueline Florine, Tom Shore, John Hart, Josh Helling, Bob Hoffman, Kevin Jorgensen, Robert Link, Doug Robinson, Tom McMillan, Chris McNamara, Royal Robbins, Ron Kauk, Chris Jones, Doug Stoup, Corey Rich, Ed Cooper and special events with Conrad Anker, Galen Rowell and Andy Selters.

      Recent shows have included accounts of climbing in Nepal, Tibet, Russia, the Sierra Nevada, Europe and Bhutan. The club organizes trips in Sonoma County, the Cascades, the Sierra, climbing areas like Red Rocks, Smith Rock and Tuolumne Meadows.

      Email List Contact Info: Elaine Newman at elaine.mcdonald@...