Re:Eastern Sierras Camping with Kids

  • Roger Reid
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11, 2009
      Susan,

      You "must" go to Bodie!!! (and Mono Lake, of course).  Have a great trip

      Roger

    • Wes Wagnon
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 2009
        And treat your family to a fantastic dinner at the gas station located where Hwy 120 meets Hwy 395! No, I'm not kidding, it's possibly the best resturant on the entire east side.

        --- In CMG@yahoogroups.com, Roger Reid <rogerreid3@...> wrote:

        > Susan,
        >
        > You "must" go to Bodie!!! (and Mono Lake, of course).  Have a great trip
        >
        > Roger

      • Eric O'Rafferty
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 2009

          On May 12, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Wes Wagnon wrote:

          And treat your family to a fantastic dinner at the gas station located where Hwy 120 meets Hwy 395! No, I'm not kidding, it's possibly the best resturant on the entire east side.

          Yes, they are know for their fish tacos.

          Places to check out include the Rock Creek area, North Lake (nice hiking up toward Piute Pass) and the Bristlecone Pine Forest in the White Mountains (very family friendly and great views of the Eastern Sierra.  Also check out the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine for some great movie history and varied sport climbing.

          Make sure you get you campground reservations lined up.  Since you're going for a month, aim to check in on weekdays... you'll have better luck.  Weekends are likely booked at the major sites by this time of year.  But people cancel and things open up.    And there's always dirt bagging it on BLM.

          Have fun!

          Eric

          _______________
          In your heart you already know. — Zen saying

        • Bill Becher
          Message 4 of 8 , May 13, 2009
            Half of the Tuolumne Meadows Campground spots are first come first serve.. If you show up at the ranger station at Tuolumne at 6am and wait in line until they open at 8, you're very likely to get a space.. Tuolumne is very kid friendly.. If you don't get in, there are streamside Forest Service campgrounds along 120 from Lee Vining to Tuolumne that have some fishing.. And the Big Springs campground off of Owens River road (turnoff is between Mammoth and June Mtns) is primative but free and also has a stream with a few fish, also close to Clark Canyon, with lots of short sport routes...In Mammoth, the Old Shady Rest campground is nice.. wooded, but you can walk to town... I've spent a lot of time in the Eastern Sierra, email me at billbecher AT yahoo.com if you have more info, and i second the recommendation about Tom Stienstra's camping guide.. latest (seventh) edition is published by Moon (Avalon Travel). ps, bring bug repellant if you come in early season...
          • Serge Melle
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13, 2009
              Bill - some great suggestions there.  Thanks.

              On a more general note, and maybe a little digression from CMG's prime purpose of conguering the unconquerable, but since we're on the topic of kids-friendly outings, I wanted to throw out the offer that if there are any other families or parent with kids out there who want to organize some type of kids-friendly outing into the wilds of California I would be interested and would be happy to try and coordinate something.  I know my kids enjoy it when we go somewhere with other kids around.  And as Bill points out there's lots of options out there, and would imagine we could do something around a wide range of activities: basic climbing, kaying/boating, fishing, hiking, bikes, etc.

              Anyways if anybody else in the group is interested in something along these lines ping me and we can go from there.

              Ciao,

              Serge

              Message 6 of 8 , May 14, 2009
                Wow... you all have given me lots of great information and ideas!  I've gotten some private replies as well.  3 of my kids and I are just about to enter finals week at school, so haven't been able to look at things very carefully, but once that's over, I think I'll sit down with my kids and make a plan.  I'm excited, though nervous about keeping everyone fed!

                Blessings!

                Susan F. Puetz,
                Certified Personal Trainer - NASM
                Certified Group Trainer - AFAA
                http://www.susansplace.org

                Outsourced Administrative Support Solutions
                "Spend your time doing what you do best"

                "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."

                Albert Einstein
                1879-1955, Physicist