Re: CMG: Re:what do you think of MSR - Lightning Ascent snowshoes?

  • Isabelle Peyrichoux
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 25, 2009
      Thanks Michael for your email. I actually ended up getting the Women Lightning Ascent. They were on sales at REI (30%) and I couldn't resist! :-)
      I hope I'll get 35 years out of them too!! They have a lifetime warranty if anything happens before then...
      BTW: if anybody is looking for snowshoes, some REI stores might still have some pairs on sale (30%). By calling the 1-800 number, you can know which store has what.

      Isabelle

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 25, 2009
        One person thought that the MSR Lightening Ascents didn't have enough
        flotation. They come in different lengths (22", 25" and 30"). I doubt
        that anyone would want snowshoes greater than 30".

        My first pair of snowshoes were 30" long and I found them too long
        for Sierra conditions (we tend not to have powder that lasts very
        long due to warmer temps than in CO and elsewhere). I used my 25"
        Ascents during the peak of the recent storms on a lake. There was at
        least 3 feet of powder on the lake and nearly all of it was very
        light due to the cold temperatures. In those conditions, with a light
        pack, I sank in less than 12 inches (I weigh 160 lbs).

        Yes, with a heavy pack it would have been deeper, but I would not
        purchase snowshoes for the extreme conditions. In all liklihood if
        the conditions are like they were on my lake trip you would not be
        doing much steep climbing because of the avalanche conditions and the
        slow going even with 30" snowshoes would limit where you would go.

        Bottom line, don't purchase too long of snowshoes. If you really want
        versatility, the MSR Evo Ascents are 22" and you can add an
        additional 6" extension (more $$$).

        Regardless of the length, I agree with the person that said ease of
        the binding is important. I am impressed with the MSR system, though
        I have some ideas on improvements ... (1) shorten the straps so you
        don't have the long end that tends to be caught when going through
        powder snow and (2) turn over the "strap clips" so the strap end
        enters from below because it will reduce the times that they come
        loose and flap (I haven't tried this yet).

        Good luck.

        Marcus

        --- In CMG@yahoogroups.com, Isabelle Peyrichoux