1651Re: [rock-rendezvous] bear canisters

  • Linda Sun
    Jan 24, 2013
      The newer version of the ursack has an aluminum liner, and odor barrier plastic bags, and is reapproved by Inyo.  But it adds a lot of weight and bulky.

      Personally I use bearikade if bear is the question.  I've successfully tested my ursack against marmot, when others' food bags got torn, in areas where bear canisters are not required.

      Linda

      On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Steve Thaw <steven_thaw@...> wrote:

      All,
      I had an Ursack several years ago.
      Tied it to an eight inch diameter Lodge Pole Pine near Yosemite's Echo Creek/Tuolumne Pass.
      A Black Bear ripped and punctured the Ursack bag to shreds.
      It took two months to get my refund money back.
      The Rangers wanted to hang it in the Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Station for public viewing.
      Your choice.
      Good Luck.
      Steve Thaw
      Moraga, Caifornia