RE: [Continuous Improvement] To invest or no to invest in ERP?

  • Madhusudan 22 IND HIN Spare Parts
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2001
      Hi Neil,

      I have a good knowledge of Purchase / Manufacturing / Material Planning /
      Logistics / Stores function including some about sales &
      accounting...totalling to about 15 years industry experience...
      Though my dream was to be an ERP consultant, I could not get into one since
      I do not have a practical implementation experience...Pl. let me know
      whether it is necessary to have implementation experience to be a
      consultant...anyone in this group may suggest whether they have such
      experience in getting into ERP without prior implementation experience...

      Regards,
      Madhusudan .S

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2001
        Madhusudan,

        As I mentioned in the other reply, ERP implementation should utilize
        a cross functional team. So your skills would compliment a team that
        is short on the business side. I would suggest that you solicit work
        with software vendors. They typically are short these skills. Once
        you have an implementation or two under your belt you can then branch
        out to general ERP consulting.

        If you have trouble finding a software vendor, you might consider
        participating in a free ERP project. The one I work with is GNUe at
        http://gnue.org The GNUe server has been down a few days (this is
        not normal), so if you do not get a connection try again later.

        Neil

      • doug333@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2001
          Madhusudan .S
          How can you have 15 years industry experience, and not have practical
          implementation experience. Maybe you are selling yourself short.
          Doug
        • doug333@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2001
            Antonio,
            Who should lead an ERP implementation? Sound accountancy and finance
            background would be very valuable. More important in my opinion is someone
            with good people skills, a team leader. Also high on my list is the ability
            to see the "big picture" as you said. That might be IT person, it might
            not. I think it just depends on the person.

            Who should be on the team? My preference would be an expert user from each
            business area with a good attitude. Realistically, the manager of the
            business area makes that decision, but the wise ones choose their "right
            hand".

            Thanks for exploring the topic with us, its an interesting conversation.
            Doug
          • Madhusudan 22 IND HIN Spare Parts
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2001
              Thanks Neil for the info...guys let me know if there is any such free ERP
              implementation project sites so that we can participate in that...this
              especially will work out for people like me who is running a current job
              elsewhere...
              I'm sure there should be many more like this...

              Madhusudan .S