Lugar re Peace Corps

  • david gaus
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2005
      To Indianapolis-area returned volunteers:

      Elisabeth Hinshaw Osgood, CIRPA Group Leader, asked me and others to phone our Congressional members on March 1, 2005. I did indeed phone all three of them--although I wasn't able to do so until March 4.
             In response, I recently received a letter from Senator Lugar dated March 10, 2005.
             Excerpts: "I share your admiration for the work of Peace Corps volunteers. ...The Senate Foreign Relations Committee, which I chair, recently recommended an increase of $25 million over the amount appropriated for the Peace Corps for Fiscal Year 2005, by a unanimous vote of the full Committee. This increase recognizes the importance of the Peace Corps and the need to increase the number of volunteers, particularly to allow new operations to commence in Islamic countries.
          "...Further information about this and other hearings that the Committee has held is available at http://foreign.senate.gov ..."
              It will be easily seen from the above that I, David Gaus, am the power behind the scenes and that Sen. Lugar is basically a front man.

      Do you Yahoo!?