Fw: [NPCA-Midwest] Digest Number 47

  • Stephanie Schuck
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2014
      NPCA news...

      "In the end, we will conserve only what we love.  We will love only what we understand.  We will understand what we are taught."
                                                                                           -Baba Dioum, Senegalese conservationist

      On Monday, March 3, 2014 8:37 AM, "NPCA-Midwest@yahoogroups.com" <NPCA-Midwest@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      NPCA-MIDWEST Region

      1 Message

      Digest #47
      1
      Peace Corps Update, March 2014 by "Jane Bardon" janebardon

      Message

      Sun Mar 2, 2014 3:16 pm (PST) . Posted by:

      "Jane Bardon" janebardon

      If you are having difficulty viewing this email properly, please click here:
      http://www.mailouti nteractive. com/Industry/ View.aspx? id=544116&q= 702296954&qz= d8cc1c

      Saturday, March 01, 2014 Unsubscribe | Printable Version | Send this to a friend
      Dear Peace Corps Family,
      March provides us with a special opportunity to renew and reflect on the Peace Corps’ longstanding commitment to women’s and girls’ empowerment. In the United States, March is Women’s History Month and March 8 also marks International Women’s Day. The 2014 themes for these observances, respectively, are “Celebrating Women of Character, Courage, and Commitment,” and “Inspiring Change.”  The Peace Corps recognizes the value of programs to promote women’s participation in all aspects of development. Enshrined in the Peace Corps Act is the directive that “Peace Corps programs shall give particular attention to programs, projects, and activities which tend to integrate women into the national economies of developing countries, thus improving their status and assisting the total development effort.”
      And the Peace Corps continues that commitment in all that we do. In the past year, just as in every year, the Peace Corps has undertaken projects that promote the participation of women and girls in all of the countries we serve. Peace Corps/Armenia conducted educational presentations and distributed literature on human trafficking in six of Armenia’s 11 regions. Peace Corps/Lesotho hosted a Camp GLOW for 196 girls in November. In Ecuador, a PCV worked with a local organization, the Waaponi Foundation, to promote rural women as citizens who can be involved in the public life of their parishes and cantons. In Morocco, that country’s gender and development committee introduced a new sexual harassment toolkit including three videos featuring Moroccans discussing sexual harassment.
      Wherever the country, whatever the activity, I am honored to oversee an organization that sees the empowerment of women and girls as so central to its humanitarian mission. I encourage you to pause for a moment during this month to consider how the world is a better place when women and girls are living out their true potential.
      With warmest regards,
      Carrie Hessler-Radelet
      Acting Peace Corps Director
      RPCV/Western Samoa, 1981–83

      RPCV Career Link
      Looking for a new job? Then look no further than the Peace Corps’ RPCV Career Link! Since launching in January 2013, RPCV-friendly employers have posted more than 3,000 jobs. So, if you are an RPCV jobseeker or an employer looking to hire RPCVs, take advantage of RPCV Career Link today. Visit RPCV Career Link and let the Peace Corps connect you to RPCV-friendly employers and universities! Did you get your job as a result of RPCV Career Link? The Office of Third Goal and Returned Volunteer Services wants to hear about it! Email your story to rvs@peacecorps. gov.

      Peace Corps Partnership Program
      Volunteers focus on youth and literacy projects with PCPP
      The Peace Corps Partnership Program helps Volunteers work with youth and student groups to increase access to education and literacy. In Benin, many students in a local community have never had access to books, which will change through the “It’s In a Book!” school library project. In the Dominican Republic, a community is working to purchase books to support a children’s library through the Library Resource Expansion project. Volunteers and communities continue to think creatively about how they can enhance education and build resources through the use of the Peace Corps Partnership Program. Visit the webpage to learn about more projects that Volunteers are doing abroad.

      Peace Corps Response
      More than 50 positions now available
      Once in a lifetime can happen more than once. If you are interested in putting your previous Peace Corps experience to use again in a short-term, high-impact position, now is the time. Peace Corps Response is currently recruiting Volunteers to serve in positions that complement all the Peace Corps’ program areas. Apply now and you could be back in the field by May, serving as a nutrition program assistant in Guinea, a recycling program coordinator in Panama, or an eco–tourism program and planning officer in the Philippines. Visit Peace Corps Response to learn more or to view all the open opportunities.

      Office of University and Domestic Partnerships
      Coverdell Fellows and Master’s International communities increasingly turn to Facebook
      “Is anyone else doing a Ph.D. through this program?” “Farewell to our MI student leaving for Mexico.” “Congratulations to Fellows partner universities making the annual Peace Corps Top Colleges and Universities List!” … Three years ago, Fellows and Master’s International students created their own Facebook pages and, more and more frequently, members of these special academic communities are turning to these resources to ask questions, share information, and congratulate one another on achievements. Be a part of these important social media resources. Visit Connecting Peace Corps Fellows, Friends and Fans or Master’s International (MI) Peace Corps Volunteers today.

      Office of Diversity and National Outreach
      ODNO sponsors racial diversity hospitality suite
      The Peace Corps Office of Diversity and National Outreach (ODNO) and its Southwest Regional Office had the privilege of sponsoring the racial diversity hospitality suite at the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force’s Creating Change Conference from January 29–February 2, in Houston. Creating Change is a premier annual conference for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community and their allies, and the conference embraced 4,000 participants from throughout the nation and abroad. Through this its participation in Creating Change, the Peace Corps underscored the fact that it welcomes all Americans to participate in the life-changing opportunity of Peace Corps service.
      As with so many of the conferences that the ODNO attends, RPCVs were in no shortage. ODNO invited conference goers to participate in the MyServicein6 social media campaign: The campaign challenges RPCVs to use six words to describe their service and create tweets, Instagram posts, Facebook status updates, and vines. Check out the creative descriptions and event highlights by searching the hashtags #MyServicein6 and #CC14 on twitter and other social media sites.

      Thank You for Staying In Touch!
      Since mid-January, more than 10,000 returned Peace Corps Volunteers have answered the Peace Corps’ call to update their contact information to help us stay in touch! As promised, the first 500 people that updated their info were entered into a drawing for prizes. We’re happy to report that Lisa Cohen (Micronesia, 2004–06); Katherine Feltes (Thailand, 1985–87); Mary Pirwitz (Togo, 1967–68); Greg Carlow (Uganda, 2008–10); and Lindsey Fincham (Kyrgyz Republic, 2010–13) were selected at random as the winners and will receive their prizes in the mail soon! Still need to update your contact info? Update your records today!

        RPCVs, Keep in Touch
      Is your Peace Corps contact information up to date?
      If you are an RPCV, take a moment to make sure we have your latest information.

      Office of Third Goal and Returned Volunteer Services
      March RPCV Career Events
      • February 26–April 24 – RPCV Career Counseling Sessions (Virginia Tech - Falls Church Campus)
      • March 5, 5–6:30 p.m. EDT – Center for Inspired Teaching – Employer Info Session (Peace Corps Headquarters)
      • March 12–13, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. MDT – Arizona Regional RPCV Career Event (Tempe, Ariz.)
      • March 26, 1–2 p.m. EDT – Career Chat/Q&A (online)
      For more details and to register for these events, check out the “Local” and “Online” events on the RPCV Career Events Page.
      Your Peace Corps Week 2014 Impact
      Peace Corps Week commemorates President Kennedy’s establishment of the Peace Corps on March 1, 1961. Thanks to all of the Peace Corps family who celebrated Peace Corps Week 2014 in grand style. Hundreds of you brought the world home through the Classroom Challenge and Video Challenge. From Columbia, Mo.’s eighth annual Third Goal Film Festival, to the University of Arizona' s Peace Corps Festival, to the University of Florida Skyping with currently serving Volunteers and honoring notable RPCV Donna Shalala, and much, much more, Peace Corps Week was an impressive international celebration. Keep an eye out for more news from us in March as we’ll be reaching out to thank you for your Peace Corps Week support and to announce the winner of the Video Challenge. Let's keep this great Third Goal momentum going all year!
      Share Your Stories
      March Question: With International Women’s Day just around the corner, what are your stories of the inspiring women you met during your Peace Corps service? Send us your stories and pictures and we’ll share them on social media and may include them in next month’s Update.
      A favorite response to February’s Question, “What is your favorite word in your host country language?” – A lovely word from the Chichewa language of Malawi: “sangalala” which means “happiness.”
      World Wise Schools
      Did you know that more than 600 Volunteers are waiting to be matched with American classrooms through the Correspondence Match program? Let’s match these Volunteers and expand the horizons of U.S. students! If you’re a teacher, sign up for Correspondence Match. If you know a teacher, encourage them to sign up. Spread the word and help us bring the world home!

      National Peace Corps Association
      "The Peace Corps Difference" project
      Share your Peace Corps story with the world by taking part in NPCA's "The Peace Corps Difference" whiteboard project. By sending your photo and message, you help convey the flavor, diversity, and power of Peace Corps service across five decades. Read the whiteboards and learn how to submit yours here.

      Office of Inspector General
      Report fraud, waste, abuse or mismanagement.

      Hotline 202.692.2915
      OIG@peacecorps. gov
      Online web form
      www.peacecorps. gov/OIG
      Follow @PCOIG on twitter for updates and reports from the Office of Inspector General.

       Follow Peace Corps on Social Media Sites:

      Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Printable Version | Send this to a friend
      www.peacecorps. gov/engage
      Peace Corps
      1111 20th Street, NW
      Washington, D.C. 20526
      United States

      This email was created and delivered using Industry Mailout