ACTION Needed for the Kate Puzey Peace Corps Volunteer Protection Act!

  • First Response Action
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2011

      Greetings –

      The bill that passed the Senate last month has a ‘sunset’ provision which would require the provisions in the act to end in seven years. The Senate is trying to pass a resolution to the amendment which would amend this sunset provision so that the provisions of confidentiality, training requirements and the extension of the Inspector General would not be affected by the sunset.  It's important that these key provisions remain standing to continue supporting victims in Peace Corps.

      The bill needs your support to pass!  We are asking that you call your Senator(s) TODAY to ask for them to pass this resolution in support of victims and whistleblowers.

      Once this resolution is finalized, the bill will go to the House.  This is a critical step in the passage of the Kate Puzey Peace Corps Volunteer Protection Act.  We appreciate any calls you are able to make!  We’ve included a sample script which you can use as a guide if you wish.

      Sample script:

      “Hello, I’m calling as a (former Peace Corps Volunteer, supporter of the Kate Puzey bill, etc.).  I am a constituent in (Senator’s) district and I would like to encourage (Senator) to vote in favor of the resolution to amend the sunset provision.  These provisions are vital to the continued support of victims of rape and sexual assault as well as whistleblowers.  Thank you for your time.”
      Click this link to find your Senator's contact information: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

      Thank you for your support of victims of sexual assault and other crimes in Peace Corps!
      Casey and the board of First Response Action

      --
      First Response Action Coalition
      www.firstresponseaction.org