Immigration in Indiana: Real Life Diversity

  • Alicia Añino
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2006
      Fellow RPCVs,

      I hope that you will be able to attend the panel on immigration on
      November 17th at the IUPUI University Library Lilly Auditorium, 8:30
      a.m.-noon. Our panel will address the diverse concerns and solutions
      and will offer the most up-to-date academic and real-life
      considerations. There will be 2 question and discussion sections and
      I know that we have many valid concerns and insightful questions to
      be asked.
      The program can be found at http://www.iupui.edu/%7Eicic/Immigration%
      20in%20Indiana%20program.doc.

      A nationally recognized center for language research and language
      training, the Indiana Center for Intercultural Communication (ICIC)
      is a center in the IU School of Liberal Arts at IUPUI. ICIC was
      created in 1998 to enhance links between the city of Indianapolis,
      the state of Indiana, and cultures/nations throughout the world.
      ICIC strives for excellence in language and intercultural training
      in academic, professional and other occupational contexts.

      As part of ICIC's mission to promote and share research that
      improves intercultural communication, we have partnered with the
      International Center of Indianapolis to present "Immigration in
      Indiana: Real Life Diversity." This panel's goal is to inform
      central Indiana about the diversity of immigrant Hoosiers and their
      contributions to our state. Presentations will focus on immigration-
      related issues that affect the community: economic impact; immigrant
      business ownership; language, culture, and education issues;
      immigration laws; and services available to immigrants. The panel
      will conclude with life stories that we hope will put a human face
      on the issue of immigration and show how immigrants make a positive
      contribution to the state of Indiana.

      If you will attend this FREE event let me know by November 13th at
      alscampb@... or 274-2555.

      Sincerely,
      Alicia Añino
      Peace Corps Panamá, 1998-2000