The Ethnic Hoosier.....November 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2006
      The Ethnic Hoosier….…..November 2006
      Published by the Nationalities Council of Indiana

      President's message …

      Its back!  The International Festival: November 3-5 at the State Fairgrounds! We -- the immigrants, students, visitors or born and bred Hoosiers with interest in different cultures right here in our community and around the world -- have been busy preparing great entertainment, food and authentic cultural experiences for you, our friends and neighbors.

      This year our theme is Tradition and Innovation, as a program partner of the Spirit and Place Festival International Festival participants experience the timeless dance between tradition and innovation in their native cultures, in their lives as immigrants, visitors, foreign students and now as residents of the U.S. -- and all of us are challenged by it.

      As we move ahead in the 21st Century such strains on individuals and cultures may be intensifying.  Accelerating advance of science and technology, exploding world population, globalization, world trade, unprecedented movement of capital and peoples around the world, increasing power and reach of weapons, instant communications world wide, resource and ecology issues, even new understandings of the meaning of life and our world view imply one thing:  tradition, innovation and change will occupy our minds and our agendas in the years to come!

      We hope you will come to see this timeless dance reflected in the International Festival!

                                                                                                      Iyi eglenceler*
                                                                                                      Ahmet Fer
      President, NCI
      (*have fun!)

      Did you know…

      The Indiana Chapter of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers was formed in June? For information, contact Marna Renteria, chapter president, 260:428-3755.

      A letter of intent has been signed to formalize the long-term collaboration between National Taiwan University and Purdue University ? The two institutions will exchange students and faculty and assist each other in training agricultural researchers and officers.

      In May, a trade delegation from Taiwan visited Indiana and were served wines from Easely Winery in Indianapolis and Oliver Winery near Bloomington . Wines from both of the companies are now being sold at Allen Wine and Spirits in Taipei .

      November’s International Calendar for Indy…

      NOTE: following are excerpts from the extensive website calendar. For complete information, please go to: http://nationalitiescouncil.org/calendar.html.

      1: Celebration of Native American Indian Month. Rotunda, Indiana Statehouse, Indpls.
      1:  "The Great Escape: Nine Hungarians Who Fled Hitler and Changed the World" presentation by Kati Marton (Part of the Ann Katz Festival of Books). Jewish C. Center.
      2: "At Face Value: Asian Immigrants in the Midwest ".  Noon. Indiana History Center .
      3: "The Economics Impact of AIDS Treatment: Labor Supply in Western Kenya ," presentation by Dr. Markus Goldstein of the World Bank. 10:30 a.m.-noon. IUPUI.
      3: " Mombasa Party and the Royal Drummers of Burundi ." 8 p.m. $30. Clowes Hall.
      3-5: "Tradition and Innovation: 30th Anniversary Celebration of the International Festival, Exposition Hall, Indiana State Fairgrounds, 1200 East 38th Street, Indianapolis. Featuring the San Jose Taiko Drummers. Info: http://indyinternationalfestival.org.
      4-5: Special notice: From noon until 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, a shuttle bus will run between the International Festival and the Indianapolis Museum of Art.
      4: "(German-style) St. Martin 's Day Celebration." 5-8 p.m. Athenaeum, Indianapolis .
      4: "Diwali 2006."   Murat Center , Indpls. Sponsored by India Association of Indianapolis .
      5: "Reopening of Asian Art Galleries ." 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Indianapolis Museum of Art.
      6: "Globalization and the American Challenge, a presentation by Sen. Richard Lugar (R.-Ind.)." 9:30 a.m. IT152, Indiana University-Purdue University in Indianapolis .
      7:  "Found in Translation: A Western Journalist Sees His World through Asian Eyes," presentation by John Northcott. 7 p.m. Marian College , 3200 Cold Springs Rd , Indpls.
      8: "Native American Commission Meeting." 1-3 p.m.  Eiteljorg Museum , Indianapolis .
      8:  Regular meeting, Indiana German Heritage Society. 6:30 p.m. Stammtisch (no-host dinner) followed by 7:30 p.m. program. Athenaeum, 401 East Michigan St. , Indpls.
      9: "Everyday Finances for International Families." Orchard Park Presbyterian Church.
      10: "Celebration of Native American Indian Month." Indiana State Museum , Indpls.
      11: "Shalom Ireland " (part of Ann Katz Festival of Books). 7:30 p.m. Jewish Comm.Ctr.
      11:  "Annual Meeting and Elections." Polish Cultural Society of Indiana .
      11:  "Night in Vienna ". German-American Klub, 8602 S. Meridian Street , Indianapolis .
      13:  Nationalities Council of Indiana meeting. 7 p.m. Max Kade Room, Athenaeum, 401 E Michigan St , Indpls. All are welcome! Info: president@....
      15:  "One Voice, Many Voices: The Holocaust and Remembrances of my Mother and my German-Jewish Childhood," presentation by Dr. John Neumaier. Jewish Comm. Center . 15:  Opening of play, "I Have Before Me a Remarkable Document Given to Me By a Young Lady from Rwanda ". Indiana Repertory Theater, 140 W Washington St , Indpls.
      16-17:   High School Model United Nations." Indiana Univ Southeast, New Albany .
      17:   "Immigration in Indiana : Real Life Diversity." 8:30 a.m.-noon. Library, IUPUI.
      18: "La Independencia de Cartagena Dinner Dance."  By Sociedad Amigos de Colombia.
      18-19:  "(German-style) Christkindl Markt." Downtown Ferdinand.

      Do you have an item for the next issue of The Ethnic Hoosier?
      E-mail: ethnichoosier@....  Deadline: 30 November 2006