Greetings from Ecuador

  • erdward1982
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2006
      Hello Everybody back in Indy!

      I thought I'd share some of my PC experiences with you since I've
      been in Ecuador. First, training was intense and it was definitely
      difficult for me to be in such a large group for such a long time.
      Not to mention that the group was one of the most diverse and
      opiniated groups I've ever been in. I almost went home before
      swearing in but my group is also very supportive and wouldn't hear of
      it so I ended up giving one of the speeches at swearing in,
      intersting how life unravels.

      My site is in the heart of Quito! I live in a two bedroom with
      electric shower apartment close to the Quito international airport!
      Its crazy, I know. I commute 45 minutes to work everyday by metrobus
      and teach classes in self esteem and values from 7:30 am to 2:30pm.
      I also talk with the girls about family issues and will start doing
      home visits.

      Today I witnessed a girl and her family have to come in and talk to
      the directora about not being able to send her to school anymore
      because her mother took off and the grandmother doen's have enough
      money to pay for her to keep going to school. They were all crying
      and it was probably one of the saddest thingsd I've seen.

      If any of you know of scholarships or grants that this girl might be
      applicable for she would love the opportunity of continuing school
      and I would be extremely thankful to hear of something that might
      help some of these girls.

      Thanks a million for all the support and hope everyone is doing well.
      Ericka Ward