Crisis Corps in Jamaica

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hello,
      In my work as a Crisis Corps volunteer here in Jamaica
      I have formed a partnership for my agency, Ewarton
      Community Development Action Committee (ECODAC), with
      an agency in the U.S. called Pedals for Progress.
      ECODAC is creating a Life Skills Training Centre to
      provide much needed technical and vocational
      opportunities for young men.
      Pedals donates used bikes to projects in developing
      countries. Go to their website for a better
      explanation of what they do: www.p4p.org
      Pedals for Progress will ship a container of bikes to
      Jamaica to be fixed up and sold as a income generating
      project for our agency. To send the first shipment
      money needs to be raised. Each following shipment will
      be paid for by the profits from the first shipment.
      It costs about $6,000 USD to ship a container of bikes
      to Jamaica from the U.S. The container will contain a
      value of about $30,000 in bikes or more.
      Some money has already been raised. To get the bikes
      shipped Pedals for Progress needs $2,000 USD more. If
      this is not raised in the next week or so, Pedals will
      have to wait until the fall to consider our program
      again, and will ship the container to another agency
      that is already active.
      Pedals for Progress is a good NGO. It was started by a
      returned Peace Corps volunteer. If our agency can get
      the bikes shipped we will be able to sell them to
      provide some much needed funds for the Life Skills
      Centre and also provided much needed cheap and
      environmentally friendly transportation for needy
      people in the community. With gas prices continuing to
      go up many people in the community can't afford to get
      to work or school.
      $2,000 USD is not a whole lot of money in the U.S.,
      but it is a lot in Jamaica. It is $130,000 JMD.
      If you would like to help the Ewarton Community
      Development Action Committee's Life Skill Centre and
      their partnership with Pedals for Progress please
      contact David Schweidenback pdls4@...
      Money can be wired directly to Pedals at the following
      bank account:
      bank: Unity Bank Clinton, NJ #021210057
      account: Pedals for Progress #1030372624
      If you donate please contact David to let him know
      that you want the money to go for the Jamaica project.
      Any amount you can donate will be assistance in
      helping young people get Life Skills Training in
      Ewarton, St. Catherine, Jamaica.
      Thank you for your consideration.
      Richard

      Richard Sitler (cell) 876-475-8424 Ewarton P.O. St. Catherine, Jamaica, WEST INDIES                richs85@...