The Ethnic Hoosier......February 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      The Ethnic Hoosier…….…..February 2006
      Published by the Nationalities Council of Indiana

      You can find us on the Internet at
      http://nationalitiescouncil.org
      (information about the International Festival, NCI, Indiana and the world)

      President's message …

      We are already into February 2006 and a new year of activities is underway.
      In the first meeting, our speaker will be Dr. Pierre Atlas, Director of The Franciscan Center for Global Studies at Marian College. Dr. Atlas will talk on the planning for the Summit on Citizen Diplomacy to be hosted by The International Center of Indianapolis and the FCGS on April 3. I feel many of our members will be interested in the Summit through participating in various aspects of this activity.
      We have been meeting with Ralph Taylor, Program Officer at Central Indiana Community Foundation to plan the Workshop on Foundations for June. CICF is also the sponsor, together with ICI, of Creating Greater Awareness Forum VI, focusing on Central and Eastern Europe. With ten members from Central and Eastern Europe in NCI, I hope we will be involved in the Forum in full force. Call or write to me with ideas.
      Last but not the least, Valentine’s Day is around the corner. So here is a timely poem from an engineer’s viewpoint:
      The Void
      The fabric of our bodies and most things we know
      Sparse matter of atoms as Rutherford showed.
      Walnut for a nucleus, electron as a pea,
      Five soccer fields apart, roughly.
      I peer into the atom and see the looming void,
      A single atom has enough room
      to sleep a trillion nuclei.
      Is it matter is it not, does it matter not?
      I look at you, I see a world,
      I feel your gaze,
      You fill my world.
      Ahmet Fer
      President, NCI

      From the International Festival: We need six performances for "our" slots on the entertainment calendar of the Indiana State Fair (9-20 August). Please contact Pat Hubley, festival manager, at 317:236-6515 x106 or phubley@....

      Did you know…
      Beginning and intermediate Japanese classes are scheduled by the Japan-America Society of Indiana, starting this month? Contact JASI at 317:635-0123 or jasi@....
      AFS is looking now for host families for high school exchange students coming to the U.S. in August for the 2006-2007 school year? Information: Bill Callahan, 317:815-1125, bill_callahan@... or talk to him at the next Nationalities Council Meeting.

      Many programs on Africa are scheduled in February and March in conjunction with the opening of the Eiteljorg Gallery of African Art at the Indianapolis Museum of Art?

      Indiana sponsored a Central American Agricultural Trade Mission last month?

      The Sister City relationship between South Bend and Arzberg (Germany) was formalized in October in ceremonies including a visit by Arzberg's mayor to Indiana?

      February’s International Calendar for Indy…

      NOTE: following are excerpts from the extensive website calendar. For complete information, please go to: http://nationalitiescouncil.org/calendar.html.

      3: "What makes international research ethical (or unethical)?" Dr. Eric Meslin, IUPUI.
      4: (German-style) Karneval/Masked Ball. 6-11 p.m. Athenaeum 401 E. Michigan.
      4: Chinese New Year Celebration of Families with Children from China - Indiana.
      5: Opening of galleries of African and South Pacific Art. Indianapolis Museum of Art.
      6: Board meeting, Indy Ethnic Food. 7 p.m. Jo Wagoner's Indianapolis home.
      7: "United Nations Reform" (first of eight weekly sessions in annual "Great Decisions" series sponsored by Indiana Council on World Affairs). Butler University, Indianapolis.
      8: "The Role of Music in the Lives of German-American Settlers in Southern Indiana," by Sara Anne Hook. Regular meeting, Ind German Heritage Soc. 7:15 p.m. Athenaeum.
      10: Annual Meeting and Luncheon, Sister Cities of Indiana. 9:30 a.m. Athenaeum.
      10: "Fasching". 8 p.m. $12. German-American Klub, , 8602 S. Meridian St., Indpls.
      13: Regular meeting, Nationalities Council of Indiana. 7 p.m. Max Kade Room, Athenaeum/Das Deutsche Haus, 401 E, Michigan St., Indpls. All are welcome.
      15: Africa by Salih Booker of Africa Action. Noon. Cavanaugh Hall 508, IUPUI.
      15: Uzbekistan by Odil Ruzaliev, journalist. 7:15 p.m. Ind Council on World Affairs.
      17: "Testing in the Second Language, Thinking in the First Language." IUPUI.
      17: "A (practically) German Cabaret". Indpls Liederkranz, 1417 E. Washington St.
      19: "A Changing World," by Sen. Richard G. Lugar. 7 p.m. Marian College, Indpls.
      20: "Travels Through Scotland III." Scottish Society of Greater Bloomington. 6:30 p.m.
      21: Luncheon and painting demo by Taiwanese Au Ho-nien. 11:30 a.m. U of Indpls.
      21: "Trade with India" by Ramesh Shah et al. World Trade Club of Indiana. 5:45 p.m.
      21: "Dean Robert White on 'Terrorism in Ireland'". Indpls Comm on Foreign Relations.
      23: Mike Kowolik (Dentistry) Guatemala, John Sidle (IU Kenya Partnership), IUPUI
      24: Hungary by Andras Kos. 2 p.m. Sagamore Institute for Policy Research, Indpls.
      25: Workshop by Midwest Association of Translators and Interpreters. IUPUI.
      26: "Kinderkarneval" (German-style Children's Mardi Gras). 3-5 p.m. Athenaeum, Indy.

      Do you have an item for the next issue of The Ethnic Hoosier?
      E-mail: ethnichoosier@.... Deadline: 28 Feb. 2006