306Central IN Peace Corps Picnic activities

  • ombili9
    Aug 20, 2010
      Good afternoon,

      Can't wait to see everyone next week at the picnic. A repeat message about the picnic is below. You can RSVP by friending the Central Indiana Peace Corps Association Facebook page then click attending for the August 26th event.

      Many of you  may recall that Michael Cupp, RPCV Ethiopia 68-70, died in December last year. He taught high school for many years at North Central High School and devoted his energy to helping kids see their potential. Many of you I'm sure enjoyed his humor at dinners over the past several years. To honor him, I encourage anyone who can to donate to the Michael "Mike" Wade Cupp Scholarship Fund, co North Central High School, 1801 E. 86th St., Indianapolis, IN 46240. Donations will also be collected at the picnic.

      DECEMBER 27, 2009111497.jpgMichael "Mike" Wade Cupp Beloved husband, father, son, brother, grandfather, and teacher, age 67, died December 20, 2009. Born in 1942, he was the son of Leonard and Ilarose Cupp and was raised in Shirley, IN. Surviving him are his wife, Patricia; his mother, Ilarose; his brother, Robert; his son, Andrew; and his granddaughter, Helena. He married college sweetheart Patricia in 1964, and they started a lifetime of teaching and traveling together. His career began in New Palestine and he spent two years with Patricia as a Peace Corps volunteer in Ethiopia (1968-70). He was a founding teacher of the Learning Unlimited alternative education program at North Central High School, where he spent most of his career. Through a Lilly creativity grant he retraced Dante's life in Italy, enhancing his ability to bring the humanities to life for his students. In his 39 years of teaching and throughout his life, Mike's intelligence, candor, and sense of humor enriched the lives of all who knew him.

      Also, please come with ideas about what we should do locally for the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps. LaVera, Colleen, and Nicky will want to hear from you.

      Colleen will have t-shirts available for sale.

      We will soon transition over to utilizing an email listserv and FB as our main mode of communication, so join the FB group if you haven't already.

      Thanks, Debbie

      Hi all,

      The next reunion of us former PCVs in Indiana has been set for August 26th from
      6:30 to 9 p.m. It will be held at Ben Eddy's new home, located at 2422 E.
      Northgate Street, Indianapolis.

      It will be a potluck. Feel free to bring a standard picnic/cookout side dish.
      Alcohol is also welcome. If you want to bring something to grill out, whether
      meat or veggies, feel free to give Ben or myself a heads up so we can work that
      out by emailing us at benjamineddy@... or nicolettemendenhall@....
      We will work you in for some grill time on Ben's grill.

      As there are a few vegetarians in the group, side dishes or main dishes without
      meat would be especially appreciated, but we will try to make sure that there
      are some main dishes with meat for the meat lovers of the group.

      Jonathon, from the National Peace Corps Association, will be driving to Indy to
      be a guest at the event. As the Central Asian RPCVs were put in charge, you can
      expect to suffer through long-winded toasts every few minutes to our having long
      lives and good health...as well as bad disco music and vodka that has been
      watered down and freezes.

      Can't wait to see you all there. Feel free to rsvp to Ben at the above email
      address, especially if you want to get a sense of what foods may already be
      taken care of for the event so you can pick out what to bring.

      Thanks,
      Nicky Mendenhall
      Turkmenistan 2002-2004

      Ben Eddy