289Recruiting Stories to Share based on Core Expectations

  • Wegner, Kristin
    Jun 24, 2009

      Dear Returned Peace Corps Volunteer:

      Greetings from the Chicago Regional Peace Corps Office! I hope this finds you very well, enjoy a bit of summer and sunshine.

      I am writing today to gather some “stories” from you.  Peace Corps has developed in writing Core Expectations For Peace Corps Volunteers (see attached document).  It would be fantastic if you could provide me with one or more stories that could be shared with prospects or interviewees that relate to the Core Expectations.

      1.      Prepare your personal and professional life to make a commitment to serve abroad for a full term of 27 months

      2.      Commit to improving the quality of life of the people with whom you live and work; and, in doing so, share your skills, adapt them, and learn new skills as needed

      3.      Serve where the Peace Corps asks you to go, under conditions of hardship, if necessary, and with the flexibility needed for effective service

      4.      Recognize that your successful and sustainable development work is based on the local trust and confidence you build by living in, and respectfully integrating yourself into, your host community and culture

      5.      Recognize that you are responsible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your personal conduct and professional performance

      6.      Engage with host country partners in a spirit of cooperation, and mutual learning and respect

      7.      Work within the rules and regulations of the Peace Corps and the local and national laws of the country where you serve

      8.      Exercise judgment and personal responsibility to protect your health, safety, and well-being and that of others

      9.      Recognize that you will be perceived, in your host country and community, as a representative of the people, cultures, values, and traditions of the United States of America

      1. Represent responsibly the people, cultures, values, and traditions of your host country and community to people in the United States both during and following your service

      If you choose to share a story or two, please reply to me at kwegner@... and note the core expectation along with your story.  In addition, please provide me with your name, country of service, years of service, etc. if you are okay with me sharing that personal information.

      Thanks much in advance for your help with this project!

      In sincere appreciation for all the continued service via our third goal…

      In community, service, and learning,

      Kristin

      Kristin Wegner

      Peace Corps Recruitment Representative

      Chicago Regional Office

      55 West Monroe Street

      Suite 450

      Chicago, IL 60603 USA

      312.353.6122 (direct) | 312.353.4192 (fax)

      800-424-8580, option #1

      Health Education Volunteer: Republic of Moldova (2001-2003)

      University of Michigan STRAT Manager

      § Apply Now

        § Find Local Events

         § World Wise Schools