241Global Gifts' Fifth Annual Helping Hands Festival

  • Beth Sturiano
    Nov 6, 2007

      Hi CIRPCA-ers,

      I'm signed up for this list but have been more of a reader then a doer (there, I outed myself!), however I think I have something worth mentioning to this group. I'm working with Global Gifts, the fair trade nonprofit store that's on Mass. Ave. and up on 86th & Ditch, and they have a festival this weekend that looks like it will be fun, and a good chance to learn more about fair trade. Please come or spread the word to interested colleagues. (I've posted the details below).

      Peace, and take care,

      Beth Sturiano

      (Jamaica 2002-4)

      Come join Global Gifts in celebrating the Fifth Annual Helping Hands Festival, Saturday November 10th, 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., at the Orchard School , 615 W. 64th St , Indianapolis .  The day will be rich with international entertainment and educational opportunities, centered around the theme of “living generously.” Local charitable and religious groups will sell handcrafted items made by artisans from around the globe. At 9:30 a.m., visitors will have the chance to learn about fair trade and living generously from our speaker, Jacqueline DeCarlo, author of Fair Trade:  A Beginner’s Guide, and Fair Trade Program Advisor for Catholic Relief Services. At 10:30 a.m., live generously by purchasing one of these unique crafts (such as jewelry, woodcarvings and musical instruments) to share with friends or family, and educating them about the origin of their gift. Experience live entertainment by local student groups, and browse crafts for sale, with international food available for purchase catered by Juniper Spoon. At 2 p.m., there will be a showing of the movie Black Gold: Wake Up and Smell the Coffee. The Helping Hands Festival is presented by Global Gifts, the Orchard School , and the Indianapolis Area Private School Diversity Consortium. Admission is free. Global Gifts is a nonprofit, fair trade store, serving impoverished artisans around the world by providing vital fair employment for people of limited opportunity. Questions? Contact Sam Carpenter at (317) 917-1836 or globalgiftsindy@.... For more information on how to live generously all year, visit www.globalgiftsindy.com, and http://jacqdecarlo.blogspot.com.

      http://mail.yahoo.com