      From: Jonathan Pearson <Jonathan@...>
      Sent: Friday, March 2, 2007 7:56:15 PM
      Subject: Update from NPCA Advocacy on Senate Peace Corps letter

      Dear Group Leaders in Nebraska, Indiana (including Kentuciana), and Oregon

      Hi: This is Jonathan Pearson, NPCA Advocacy Coordinator:

      As you may know, we are currently advocating on a Senate “Dear Colleague” letter:  The Dodd-Coleman letter calls for increased funding for Peace Corps in federal Fiscal Year 2008.

      The letter will be open for Senators to sign onto through Monday.

      Anything your members might be able to do over the weekend to weigh in with your Senators’ offices would be extremely helpful.  Here’s the basic background information on what people need to do…

      **

      1.      Call the Senate Switchboard (202-224-3121). Ask to be connected to the office of your Senator.

      2.      Leave the following message:

      "I'm calling to urge Senator ______ to sign onto the Dodd-Coleman letter in support of increased funding for the Peace Corps in Fiscal Year 2008. Please contact Josh Blumenfeld in Senator Dodd's office to sign onto this letter."

      If you prefer to take action by e-mail, click here.

      If you need information/links to your
      U.S. Senators, click here.

      To read the Dodd-Coleman letter, click here.

      ***

      While we are picking up Senators onto the letters, neither of the Senators in your respective states have signed.  Senator Hagel in Nebraska is considering but not yet signed.  Senator Lugar of Indiana, as Lead Republican on the Foreign Relations Committee would be extremely helpful to get on this letter.  Getting Senator Smith on board from Oregon would help greatly with the bi-partisan nature of this letter.

      I will be in the office during part of the day on Saturday.  So if you have questions/concerns, I will try to respond during the day tomorrow.

       A note that efforts on the House side, with a similar letter will begin in earnest next week.  But anything you can do to generate some more constituent voices on the Senate side this weekend would be great.

      For all information related to this current effort, you can visit www.peacecorpsconnect.org/dayofaction

      Have a great weekend, and a great Peace Corps week!

      Jonathan Pearson

      Jonathan Pearson (Micronesia 87 - 89)

      Advocacy Coordinator

      National Peace Corps Association