131[NPCANews] E-Newsletter for April 2006

    Apr 20, 2006
      Subject: [NPCANews] E-Newsletter for April 2006

      Volume 3, Issue 4

      www.peacecorpsconnect.org

      April 2006

      *Breaking News:
      Peace Corps Director Reportedly Stepping Down*

      Peace Corps Director Gaddi Vasquez is reportedly stepping down to accept
      the position of U.S Ambassador to the Food and Agriculture Organization
      of the United Nations in Rome, succeeding former Congressman Tony P.
      Hall (Thailand 66-67). Vasquez is the third longest-serving Director of
      the agency after Sargent Shriver and Loret Miller Ruppe. No further
      official details are available at this time.

      *Speaking Truth to Power:
      Week of Action on Trade Justice is Underway*

      Join NPCA and Oxfam America April 16 - 23 as we take action for Trade
      Justice! Faith-based organizations, environmental groups, and
      anti-poverty charities all agree that fair trade is critical to
      realizing a more just world. Now, ahead of key World Trade Organization
      meetings, speakers from West Africa are touring Georgia, Kansas,
      Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, Vermont and Washington, DC to
      tell firsthand about the impacts of U.S. agricultural policies on their
      lives and what we can do to help. Click here
      for
      details and a schedule of events in these areas, plus a link to photos
      from the kick-off DC event.

      *Big Apple Open House "Sold Out":
      Dearborn, Milwaukee, Baltimore Still to Come*

      To celebrate the 45th anniversary of Peace Corps, NPCA and Peace Corps
      have been hosting Open House events across the country where returned
      volunteers, prospective volunteers, volunteer families, and friends of
      Peace Corps can connect, share stories, and learn what we can do to help
      keep the Peace Corps spirit alive and thriving.

      Today's event in New York City has a waiting list but the final three
      Open Houses are scheduled: Dearborn, MI (April 30), Milwaukee, WI (May
      7) and Baltimore, MD (June 18). Click here for complete information
      --plus
      descriptions and photos of past events--and make your plans to attend!

      *Earth Week: RPCV Action on Climate Change, Renewable Energy*

      Patrick Gonzalez (Senegal 88-90) is a globe-trotting researcher who
      serves on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Matt Patrick
      (Ghana 77-79) is a Massachusetts state representative and leader in
      advancing legislation promoting renewable energy and energy
      conservation. 90 year-old Trudy Wyner (Jamaica 90-92) encourages her
      contemporaries to take action on climate change out of concern for her
      (and their) great-grandchildren.

      This Earth Week, the NPCA launches a section of our Web site profiling
      members of our community taking actions individually and professionally
      on climate change and clean energy. Click here
      to read
      these profiles and more.

      *Become One of the Million Voices for Darfur*

      The Save Darfur Coalition is planning April 30th rallies around the
      nation to bring focus to the ongoing violence and humanitarian crisis in
      western Sudan. Click here
      to join an
      NPCA contingent at the Washington rally or learn about mobilizations in
      other cities. Add your voice now to the coalition's Million Voices for
      Darfur campaign.

      *Be a Mentor, Tell a Teen:
      NetAid and NPCA Make it Happen*

      How often do you hear this from a teen?

      /"Thanks for making me think! And for sharing your experiences with us,
      I'm excited to hear more!" /

      Well, we're excited, too! This type of exchange is now happening online
      between NPCA's RPCV mentors and NetAid's Global Citizen Corps teen
      leaders. Visit the NPCA website
      to read
      more about the program and to add your name to our list of RPCVs
      interested in future mentoring opportunities.

      And do you know high school students who want to make a difference in
      the lives of the world's poor? Would you like to help schools get more
      involved in addressing global challenges like HIV/AIDS, hunger, and
      access to education?

      Tell students to apply for the NetAid Global Citizen Corps (GCC)!

      You can learn more about the GCC and how students can apply online at
      www.netaid.org/go/apply . Application
      deadline is May 7, 2006.

      *NPCA Joins the ONE Campaign*

      The National Peace Corps Association has recently joined the ONE
      coalition - The Campaign to Make Poverty History.

      The ONE campaign rallies Americans--one by one--to raise their voice
      against global health and poverty crises. By building public will for
      greater US involvement in fighting global poverty, the campaign
      influences decision makers to do more to Make Poverty History. You can
      help make a difference by signing on to the One Declaration
      , which calls for compassion and
      justice in helping people the world over to overcome AIDS and extreme
      poverty. By becoming a partner of the ONE Campaign
      , NPCA joins a diverse coalition of
      faith-based and anti-poverty organizers working together to create a
      better, safer world.

      *Armenian Orphans with Disabilities Receive Warm Hearth*

      In January, outside of Yerevan, Armenia, a celebration took place to
      welcome eight adult orphans with disabilities into their new home, Warm
      Hearth. Warm Hearth Armenia is the brainchild of a former Peace Corps
      volunteer, Natalie Bryant Rizzieri, who served in Armenia for two years.
      She and another former volunteer, Bridget Anderson, have raised nearly
      $100,000 to open the group home, Armenia's first. Click here
      to read more
      about Natalie, Bridget and the work of Warm Hearth Armenia.

      *Advisory Council Welcomes Two Former Peace Corps Directors*

      Former Peace Corps Directors Carol Bellamy (President and CEO of World
      Learning and President of the School for International Training) and
      Mark Schneider (Senior Vice President of the International Crisis Group)
      have joined the NPCA Advisory Council. Leonard Robinson, President and
      CEO of Africa Summit, has also recently rejoined.

      The Advisory Council is made up of national leaders who have made a
      significant contribution to the Peace Corps and who have forged highly
      successful careers in the public and private sectors. These individuals
      meet periodically to provide strategic advice to the President and Board
      on ways that NPCA can better serve its members and groups, and advance
      its mission of fostering peace through service, education and advocacy.
      Click here for a
      complete listing of our Advisory Council members.

      *In This Issue*

      . Breaking News: Peace Corps Director Reportedly Stepping Down <#11>

      . Speaking Truth to Power: Week of Action on Trade Justice Is Underway
      <#22>

      . Big Apple Open House "Sold Out": Dearborn, Milwaukee, Baltimore Still
      to Come <#33>

      . Earth Week: RPCV Action on Climate Change, Renewable Energy <#44>

      . Become One of the "Million Voices for Darfur" <#55>

      . Be a Mentor, Tell a Teen: NetAid and NPCA Make it Happen <#66>

      . NPCA Joins the ONE Campaign <#77>

      . Armenian Orphans with Disabilities Receive Warm Hearth <#88>

      . Advisory Council Welcomes Two Former Peace Corps Directors <#99>

      *Peace Corps Community News*

      . Peace Corps temporarily suspends Chad program

      . Peace Corps Director Addresses Latin American Forum; Greets RPCVs and
      Recruits

      . Katrina coverage earns Joshua Norman (Togo 2000-02) and colleagues the
      2006 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service Journalism
      , Josh's bio
      ,
      blog posting

      . Steve Kehm and Pat Goggin started a legacy of Peace Corps service in
      Latin America

      . One Peace Corps stint not enough for Seattle's Chuck and Marcia
      McBeathon

      . One the NPCA Bulletin board: Call for Submissions: Peace Corps travel
      stories; Volunteer hydrologist for Malawi needed by Clinton Foundation;
      Photos of children's games needed...more

      . Seeking...Wanda Crisneer, Mary Novotny

      . On the NPCA Calendar: Northern California, Missouri Earth Day Events,
      NPCA Open Houses, Kansas City Spring Auction... more

      . Peace Corps community news clippings updated daily!

      *WHO ARE YOU?*

      We'd like to know. Seven questions. Fast. Easy. Promise. Click Here
      .

      **Nomination Period for NPCA Board Extended**

      The deadline for nominations to the NPCA board has been extended to May
      31, 2006. Three representative positions are open for election this
      year: Europe/North and East Africa; Northeast; and
      Mid-Atlantic/Nationwide. The voting period is from July 1 through July
      31. These are three-year terms, commencing with the Annual Meeting in
      September.

      Nomination materials and more detailed election information are
      available on the NPCA Web site
      .

      **NPCA encourages nomination of candidates reflective of our community's
      diversity**

      *Reminder to Group Leaders: It's time to reaffiliate for 2006*

      Click here
      for everything you need to know about reaffiliation. Deadline is May 1.

      Click here
      for
      resources and information about celebrating 45 years of service at home
      and abroad!

      *"Making a Difference"* is the area on our Web site where we
      highlight... well... people in our community making a difference! All
      those past stories are now accessible on one page. Click here
      to see if
      you missed any.

      Visit NPCA's interactive online career center
      . You'll find job search
      resources, job listings and more!

      Join NPCA |
      Contribute to NPCA
      | Update Contact Information
      | Disclaimer

      National Peace Corps Association . 1900 L Street NW Suite 205 .
      Washington, DC 20036 . 202.293.7728 news@...