Re: [CIGARBOXGUITARBUILDERS] Old frenchy tune on a 3-stringer

  • Ray Heilman
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
      I do like me some Django!
    • Tap
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
        Thanks Ray

        The thing I love about the 3 strings is that you have to find the central essence ofd the chord without all of the fluff. I have been finding some chord shapes that repeat up and down the neck, and also seem to change "feel" depending on how they're used. It's been a great learning experience, thrust on me by my situation, but in a kind of "if you were stuck on an island, what would you take with you" way, know what I mean. I can't wait to get back to building again, I found a couple of "boxes" to get rolling on, just gotta get back to the shop.

        The wood on top is 1/4" birch plywood, the kind they sell at Home Depot. The bowl (I didn't really show it) is a gourd-shaped thing I found at Goodwill, perfect for this build. Neck is fir, fretboard is oak, just scraps and bits from around the shop, really.

        I did win your guitar in the trade; I love the neck attachment. Simple, cool looking, effective; thinking outside of the box, yeah? The frets were falling off (sorry!) so I pulled the remainder and play it slide style. It sounds great plugged in, I want to do some recording on all of the guitars when I get back. I miss my home!

        Again, I loved that song, especially the story that goes with it. You can't make this stuff up! Bits of life turned to song, just like our instruments..

        Take care, talk to you again soon.

        -Steve

        --- In CIGARBOXGUITARBUILDERS@yahoogroups.com, Ray Heilman <sirdeerfootofbarclay@...> wrote:

        > Hi Steve!
        >
        > Very nice! I like the sound of your uke! My son got an Ovation
        > acoustic/electric uke for Christmas last year. He plays mostly chords, but
        > is playing with the band for the Wednesday night childrens program at
        > church.
        >
        > What is the wood on the top of your uke? I also noticed how much you can do
        > with only three strings. You remind me, again, to think outside the box.
        >
        > I believe it was you who got my cat bowl resonator in the round robin trade
        > way back. Were you ever able to adjust it so the intonation was mostly
        > right. That was my second instrument with frets and my first with fret
        > wire. The one I played in the coffee house video is toothpick frets, but
        > still needs much adjustment before I'll feel really secure with the
        > intonation.
        >
        > I enjoyed your other videos, too, when I checked out the uke one!
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Ray(TheOtherRay) <><

      • Ray Heilman
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
          That's good to know about the frets.  I'll see what I need to do when I use the remainder of my fret wire to make it better.  I guess, at least, the sawed grooves are marking the fret positions visually!

          I have a couple of old wooden tennis racket presses that I'm seeing at guitar bodies.  One is special because it belonged to my uncle when he was living.  I may use the other one as a proof of concept build before working on the special one.  I think the birch ply would make a great top and back for that one, that I wouldn't have to join.  Though not with the sentimental value, I think it will be a fun instruement and take care of any pitfalls before delving into the one made from two deceased uncles and one living uncle and my Dad.  I want the "Brothers" instrument to be very special!

          Ray(TheOtherRay) <><

        • Ray Heilman
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
            That should be from "wood from" two deceased uncles.  Don't wish to sound creepy and morbid!

            On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Ray Heilman <sirdeerfootofbarclay@...> wrote:
            ...before delving into the one made from two deceased uncles and one living uncle and my Dad.  I want the "Brothers" instrument to be very special!

            Ray(TheOtherRay) <><

          • Brian Hunt
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
              One thing you can do on fret wire is when you install is to use some white glue in the slot before you seat the fret wire. This will help retain the frets even when the slot is slightly too wide.

              Brian Hunt.

              On 9/30/2011 8:41 AM, Ray Heilman wrote:
              That's good to know about the frets.  I'll see what I need to do when I use the remainder of my fret wire to make it better.  I guess, at least, the sawed grooves are marking the fret positions visually!

              I have a couple of old wooden tennis racket presses that I'm seeing at guitar bodies.  One is special because it belonged to my uncle when he was living.  I may use the other one as a proof of concept build before working on the special one.  I think the birch ply would make a great top and back for that one, that I wouldn't have to join.  Though not with the sentimental value, I think it will be a fun instruement and take care of any pitfalls before delving into the one made from two deceased uncles and one living uncle and my Dad.  I want the "Brothers" instrument to be very special!

              Ray(TheOtherRay) <><

              No virus found in this message.

              Robert A. Heinlein, science-fiction writer, on jacks-of-all-trades: A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, steer a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, pitch manure, solve equations, analyze a new problem, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. "I'm addicted to placebos, I could quit but it wouldn't matter." Stephen Wright.
            • Ray Heilman
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
                Thanks for the tip.  I'd really like to use metal fret wire on this particular instrument, as I've installed the Skeezix pickup that I won too long ago.  I figure that an instrument with a magnetic pickup probably deserves actual fret wire.

                Ray(TheOtherRay) <><
              • Brian Hunt

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
                    You would win the Halloween Challenge if you did that Ray. Hands down.