Re: [CHICAGOTRANSIT] Expressway openings

  • Dennis McClendon
    Message 1 of 9 , May 27, 2003
      >Can anybody tell me when the Tri-State Tollway opened?

      28 Aug 58 The northern 30 miles of the Tri-State Tollway opened
      21 Nov 58 The original 28 miles of the East-West Tollway opened
      23 Dec 58 The remaining 53 miles of the Tri-State Tollway opened
      --
      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
      Message 2 of 9 , May 28, 2003
        Thanks, Dennis!

        Now, a couple of details maybe you (or somebody) have:

        Northern part of Tri-State would be State Line to specifically where?
        Eisenhower did not open in the area until several months later:

        Eisenhower:

        First Av to Mannheim 12/21/54 (very first part of Eisenhower to open,
        before city portion)

        (08/28/58) (Tri-State north portion opens - no direct connection to
        Eisenhower)

        Mannheim to Howard Av 11/21/58 (this is the connection to the East-West
        and I would say also to the Tri-State, though where is Howard Av?)

        also Hillside Av to Madison St 11/21/58 (This being the stub of the
        route to Woodfield)

        Madison to Lake St 12/18/61 (first significant section towrs Woodfield)

        When the Tri-State opened, the north end was NOT connected to US41.
        There is a large aerial photo at Lake County Historical Society museum
        that shows the Tri-State bobbing off maybe a thousand feet short of
        US41. It appears that traffic had to get off at 176 and go over that
        way. When did the connection finally open? Early 60's I guess???

        The Borman Expressway in Gary appears to be quite old, judging from the
        bridges. I would say quite close to the 11/1/51 opening of the Kingery
        and south end of the Calumet. Also, how far east did it originally go?
        To the Indiana Tollroad?

        Finally, anybody know opening for the Indiana Tollroad and Chicago
        Skyway?

        Trying to get these things in the right chronological order...

        Andre

        http://community.webtv.net/ajkristopans/ANDRESSERIALNUMBER
        http://community.webtv.net/ajkristopans/MODERNURBANRAIL
      • Adam H. Kerman
        Message 3 of 9 , May 28, 2003
          ajkristopans@... wrote:

          >Northern part of Tri-State would be State Line to specifically where?

          To the Edens Spur. The Spur itself opened as part of the northern section.

          >When the Tri-State opened, the north end was NOT connected to US41.
          >There is a large aerial photo at Lake County Historical Society museum
          >that shows the Tri-State bobbing off maybe a thousand feet short of
          >US41. It appears that traffic had to get off at 176 and go over that
          >way. When did the connection finally open? Early 60's I guess???

          I trust you mean 173?
        • Dennis McClendon
          Message 4 of 9 , May 29, 2003

            >Finally, anybody know opening for the Indiana Tollroad and Chicago
            >Skyway?

            1956-09-17 Indiana Toll Road opens
            1956-11-15 Last portion of Indiana Toll Road opens

            ( I know that's not clear, but it's what I wrote down four years ago
            talking to someone at Indiana DOT. I was preparing a map and writing
            an entry on this subject for the forthcoming Encyclopedia of Chicago
            History.) From the same notes:

            1952 Borman Expwy opens state line to Indianapolis Blvd
            1956 Borman Expwy opens Indianapolis Blvd to Burr, and SR 51 to Toll Rd
            1960 Borman Expwy opens Burr to SR 51

            1980 SR 912 (Cline Ave Expwy) opens
            1986 SR 912 extended from Riley to just west of Whiting

            1971 I-65 opened through Lake County

            1954-04-16 Calumet (now Chicago) Skyway opened

            --
            ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
            Message 5 of 9 , May 29, 2003
              At 9:09pm -0500, 05/29/03, Dennis McClendon <dmcclendon@...> wrote:

              >( I know that's not clear, but it's what I wrote down four years ago
              >talking to someone at Indiana DOT. I was preparing a map and writing
              >an entry on this subject for the forthcoming Encyclopedia of Chicago
              >History.) From the same notes:

              >1952 Borman Expwy opens state line to Indianapolis Blvd
              >1956 Borman Expwy opens Indianapolis Blvd to Burr, and SR 51 to Toll Rd
              >1960 Borman Expwy opens Burr to SR 51

              Ah. That explains where the Kingery went to when it first opened. Obviously,
              Illinois and Indiana must have agreed to open an expressway jointly to US 41.
            • ajkristopans@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30, 2003
                So basically the original Calumet/Kingery Expwy was intended as a
                Whiting/East Chicago bypass for US 41 - you took Lake Shore Dr to Stony
                Island, SI and Doty to the Calumet, Etc to Indianapolis and south.

                Now, what was the Borman called before it was the Borman? Obviously
                Frank Borman wasn't important before he went to space, and this road
                even predates the Interstate System of 1954.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 30, 2003
                  11/15/56 I believe is the date that the connection to the Ohio Turnpike
                  from the last Indiana exit opened.