The Ravenston

  • Zoo9579@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2000
      I'm looking to see the Cta's newest "Ravenston" trip from Howard to the Loop
      and back. I heard it was run 512, but what time does it leave Howard?
      Sean
    • Dave Johnsen
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2000
        The description "ridiculous" has piqued my curiosity! What is this animal? Is it an Evanston Express that turns into a Ravenswood on the return trip? An E.E. that goes the opposite way around the Loop? Is it a newer Ravenswood train mixed in with the older E.E. cars? Does this have something to do with the news that the CTA is adding more rush-hour trains to five lines?

        I saw this on the CTA's web site:
        "On the Brown Line, where morning rush period trains are especially crowded south of Belmont, an extra Brown Line train will enter service at Belmont at 8:17 a.m. for a trip to the Loop. After circling the outer Loop, this same train will leave the Merchandise Mart station northbound at 8:47 a.m. as a Purple Line Express to Linden."

        While I'm asking questions, when did the E.E. trains start talking? The other night, I hopped on an E.E. from the Mart to Wellington and was surprised to hear the stops announced by a pre-recorded voice. I've seen this before on other systems, but not the CTA. How does this work? Are the announcements triggered by some kind of sensors on the track? Was this done to make less work for motormen, or because the traditional intercom system is unintelligible due to distortion and feedback? Do all E.E.'s have this now, or was I just lucky the other night? Are there plans to add this system to all CTA lines? The clarity was good, but it seemed a little too antiseptic. The individual voices announcing stops add to the character of the L.

        Sorry for all the questions. Feel free to refer me to another source for this information. Is there a publication I can subscribe to for the latest information about the CTA?

        --Dave Johnsen
      • Zoo9579@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2000
          From what I know, this one runs as an Evanston Express, but operates around
          the Loop like a Ravenswood; counterclockwise. Thats all...just goes straight
          south at Tower 18.
          Sean