Checklist(s)

  • Sandy Floe
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
      Boy what a quiet bunch we've been lately. Everyone cruisin?

      Had a surprise this summer. While doing a routine examination of
      the engine room and equipment I noticed a loose bolt in the bilge. I
      searched for a place it had come from and it didn't take long before
      I found that it had dropped off the coupling that ties the tranny and
      drive shaft together. They're four of em. I had to tighten two others
      slightly after installing the one that had fallen off. All had lock
      washers. (The last time the bolts were tightened was when we had
      to move the engine to install new fuel tanks....over four years ago.)

      Wow! If the others had fallen off, it would have been a disaster as
      the shafts were thrown violently out of alignment.

      Perhaps this would have been prevented if I had two or three
      checklists each perhaps governed by hours of use more than by
      time, but an annual one might be in order too.

      So what do you do? Anyone have an engine room checklist?
      Anyone have checklists for other things?

      Sandy Floe
      Sea Eagle (39 CHB)
      Day Island, WA (homeport)
    • Ron Sallee
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
        Drill (or have them drilled) holes in the nuts for safety wire.....use SS
        safety wire from nut to nut in a loop around the flange and then twist tie.
        Ron & Marilyn Sallee "Arwetheryet" 34 CHB Everett, WA. USA

        > I found that it had dropped off the coupling that ties the tranny and
        > drive shaft together. They're four of em. I had to tighten two others
        > slightly after installing the one that had fallen off. All had lock
        > washers.

        > So what do you do? Anyone have an engine room checklist?
        > Anyone have checklists for other things?
        >
        > Sandy Floe
      • Ed Chmiel
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
          > Anyone have checklists for other things?

          Yep, have "Getting on the Boat", "Leaving the Boat" and "Leaving the Dock"
          checklists. Prevents stupid things like leaving the dock cord attached when
          pulling out!

          Much of the checklist is about the AC and DC switches and how to leave them.

          Anyway, about AC, (how's that for a segway?) this weekend I got tired of the
          wife blowing the breaker every time she had the dryer running and decided to
          heat her coffee. If found that all but one AC outlet was tied to a single
          20a breaker! After lots of plugging in a portable lamp, I did find that the
          wiring was indeed segmented. I found 2 15a breakers that didnt seem to do
          anything, so I split the load. Now the washer/dryer is all by itself, the
          kitchen is alone, as well as the for and aft cabin. That will make for less
          trips to the panel!

          Whats odd is that it was wired that way from the factory. I can't seem to
          think of a valid reason for that, because even if the wiring were
          'inadequate', it still was possible to say, run a 20a device that travels
          thru just one of the power circuits. I don't see how splitting might cause
          any safety trouble, but if anybody has any thoughts, they would be
          appreciated.

          Another topic: Bummer on the trawler fest cancellation in SoCal. Anybdoy
          know if the Nordhaven got off on its world tour (or when?)

          *********************************
          Ed and Peggy Chmiel
          Knot Kidding, 42' CHB Heritage
          Huntington Beach, CA USA
          *********************************
        • Connie Foley
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
            Great idea Ed - this coming from one who has personal experience with
            "stupid things like leaving the dock cord attached when pulling out!" (g)
            I'm still hearing about that one from my husband (g)..

            Bill and Connie Foley
            Adjourned
            34' Tricabin

            At 10:07 AM 11/05/2001, you wrote:
            > > Anyone have checklists for other things?
            >
            >Yep, have "Getting on the Boat", "Leaving the Boat" and "Leaving the Dock"
            >checklists. Prevents stupid things like leaving the dock cord attached when
            >pulling out!
            >
            >Much of the checklist is about the AC and DC switches and how to leave them.
            >
            >Anyway, about AC, (how's that for a segway?) this weekend I got tired of the
            >wife blowing the breaker every time she had the dryer running and decided to
            >heat her coffee. If found that all but one AC outlet was tied to a single
            >20a breaker! After lots of plugging in a portable lamp, I did find that the
            >wiring was indeed segmented. I found 2 15a breakers that didnt seem to do
            >anything, so I split the load. Now the washer/dryer is all by itself, the
            >kitchen is alone, as well as the for and aft cabin. That will make for less
            >trips to the panel!
            >
            >Whats odd is that it was wired that way from the factory. I can't seem to
            >think of a valid reason for that, because even if the wiring were
            >'inadequate', it still was possible to say, run a 20a device that travels
            >thru just one of the power circuits. I don't see how splitting might cause
            >any safety trouble, but if anybody has any thoughts, they would be
            >appreciated.
            >
            >Another topic: Bummer on the trawler fest cancellation in SoCal. Anybdoy
            >know if the Nordhaven got off on its world tour (or when?)
            >
            >*********************************
            >Ed and Peggy Chmiel
            >Knot Kidding, 42' CHB Heritage
            >Huntington Beach, CA USA
            > Unsubsrcibe by sending a blank email to:
            >
            >Check out our Web Site at:
            ><http://communities.msn.com/CHBOwners/homepage>http://communities.msn.com/CHBOwners/homepage

          • Sandy Floe
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
              > Drill (or have them drilled) holes in the nuts for safety wire.....use
              > SS safety wire from nut to nut in a loop around the flange and then
              > twist tie. Ron & Marilyn Sallee "Arwetheryet" 34 CHB Everett, WA.
              > USA

              Great idea Ron! Thanks.

              That could come under the category of:
              "Now why didn't I think of that?"

              Sandy
            • Sandy Floe
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
                > Another topic: Bummer on the trawler fest cancellation in SoCal.
                > Anybdoy know if the Nordhaven got off on its world tour (or when?)

                Hi Ed,

                Yep, they've departed.
                Check out:
                http://www.trawlerworld.com

                Georgs Kolesnikovs will be submitting reports from time to time in
                the "daily log" section.

                Sandy
              • Anne & David Mensel
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
                  Sandy:

                  Here's a schedule I've compiled over the years. You're welcome to use it or
                  whatever.

                  Dave Mensel
                  Ohne Hast
                  Nashville, TN

                • Sandy Floe
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 5, 2001
                    > Sandy:
                    >
                    > Here's a schedule I've compiled over the years. You're welcome to use
                    > it or whatever.
                    >
                    > Dave Mensel
                    > Ohne Hast
                    > Nashville, TN

                    Wow, a really neat list Dave. Thanks!

                    Anyone else have one?

                    Sandy
                  • Sandy Floe
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
                      Ed wrote:
                      > >Yep, have "Getting on the Boat", "Leaving the Boat" and "Leaving the
                      > >Dock" checklists. Prevents stupid things like leaving the dock cord
                      > >attached when pulling out!

                      Where I get into trouble is when the routine is interrupted or
                      something new is added to the routine. You'd think that I would
                      learn that some day. An example might be docking under windy or
                      strong tidal conditions and a boat sitting in the assigned slip. Oops!
                      Been there huh?

                      Last summer we were leaving the Neah Bay Marina at 4:00 AM.
                      It was so early and so dark that the Boatkat stayed on my/her
                      pillow when I got up. Started the engine and got everything else
                      fired up. Untied the lines and shore power and went up on the
                      bridge to back out of the slip. In reverse the boat veered at right
                      angles and bumped the fishing troller alongside. Whattha heck?
                      Same question verbally came from the skipper of the troller as he
                      stuck his head out the door. "Sorry Archie," I answered. (Thank
                      goodness we'd given him a BBQ'd halibut steak the night before.)

                      But what happened? Ah, another line attached to our boat. Then I
                      remembered that last night the wind was really cooking and I had
                      added another bow line. Something new to the routine.

                      No trouble leaving the harbor without lights. My red face illuminated
                      the harbor.

                      Sandy Floe
                      Sea Eagle (39 CHB)
                      Day Island, WA (homeport)
                    • Ed Chmiel
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 6, 2001
                        >>Sandy wrote: Been there huh?

                        Yep. Closest I came to diaster was during the strongest/highest tide time
                        the summer. Pulled out of the slip in normal fashion, but didn't realize how
                        strong the current was. Every effort to turn to port wasn't working as I got
                        closer and closer to the boats on my starboard. I didn't want to turn to
                        greatly as to swing my rear into the boats, 30,000 pounds of boat could do a
                        lot of damage.

                        Fortunately a quick spurt of the throttle pushed me out of harm's way. Whew!

                        Moral of the story: don't ever take even the most routine boating activity
                        lightly! I now check the tide tables (oops, need to add to the list!!!!) and
                        make sure that I am very well to the port side of the fairway!