Anything new?

  • Dianna Wolfe
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
      Is anyone making anything lately? I haven't seen any new pictures in the Gallery and was just wondering. My muse is still on strike I think. I haven't made anything in such a long time.

      I started a new job July 6 and have been in computer classes. They have a large network and use a DOS based system. Pretty antiquated, but a good system for their needs. Just I have to learn how to use DOS all over again. I still have another month of classes and orientation. After sitting at the computer all day, I really don't want to come home to mine LOL.

      The weather in Florida has been hot and humid and now the rain season has started. Instead of cooling things off, the rain just steams everything.

      I guess a lot of people are busy getting their children off to school. I don't have that issue anymore, but understand how time consuming it can be.

      Be safe everyone and chime in when you get time.
      hugs, dianna
    • Keith Landry
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
        its the show season .... august is a little slow cause it is hot as hell... but building stock stock is alway going on... and I have 4 big weekend shows in 3 states next month ... so busy busy... I have been working on some different things as well... I have been on a wrapping spree lately ,,, I wrapped a dug out and giant crack lighters and even a giant flask... the thing holds 1/2 gallon ... its a big ass flask... and riht at the moment I am doing some hand cuff/sleeve/glove type thing ... so you know me anything that is unique different and one of a kind... I be be making it... I am also going to be working on some inlay stuff will let you know how and when that gets done if it comes out like I want ...lol... so that said I am pecking at the keys with my pliers and my muse is smacking on the back of the head telling we to get busy...lol so as the dwarfs would say.... ringo ringo its time to make the maille you know.... or something like that... so gotta gotta go have a great summer and don't melt in the heat....

        Keith(mudbug)Landry&nbsp;<span style=""><a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.myspace.com/mudbug44" class="url">http://www.myspace.com/mudbug44</a></span>

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
          I love you Keith. You always make me smile. Good luck with all of your shows. Oh and tell your muse to send her sister to me. I need some inspiration.......... Oh Lord do I ever.... Don't forget to post pictures of your unique stuff....

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
            Sad to say I'm "stuck" on a pendant I've been working on for more months than I will admit to. Since its for my daughter I really need to finish it before I move on, but sometimes it does get a bit depressing!

            Deb
            From: "Dianna Wolfe" <diannawolfe@...>
            Sender: CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:36:20 -0000
            To: <CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          • Lyle Steinhardt
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 9, 2010
              I haven't made anything in a long while. I've been busy writing my Wire Aspect Ratio program, iChainMaille, that I have no time for the finer things in life. :)  I was just looking at a Step by Step Wire Jewelry magazine yesterday and saw a bracelet I've  been wanting to make, I thought I would finish up the latest modifications of the program and go back to making some jewelry for a while.

              Anyone have some good tips on how to take good pictures of jewelry.  All the ones I take are not really in focus or they don't look "nice".

              Thanks,

              Lyle

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 10, 2010
                For better pictures, 2 things -- lightbox, and tripod. Both can be done pretty cheaply. Google either pvc lightbox or cardboard lightbox and you'll get many tutorials.

                --
                Amy C. Sanders
                raine studios
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 10, 2010
                  Good luck in your new job, Diana! I've been doing my usual traveling thing. I just got back from really hot, hot South Carolina! It's cooler here in FL!
                  I've been more into beading recently. Except for Beez to Butterflies I haven done any new chainmaille. I'm teaching that Friday and just finished 4,000 rings for the class. I'm having a difficult time writing the tutorial but I'm sure I'll get something on paper by Friday morning!
                  I finished making "Earthy Hues" by Carole Ohl. Came out real pretty!
                  I made a pair of tri-colored sheet metal earrings that I pounded the life out of ! I hit the local Ace hardware and I've been making some washer jewelry with brass, copper and aluminum washers!

                  Diana I love the Helms cuff on the home page! Could you tell me the ring sizes you used? Are the connector rings the same size as the larger rings? That piece looks like a winner to me! Genny
                • Dianna Wolfe
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 10, 2010
                    Wow Genny, I love the earthy hues. Where did you get the pattern? I am so ashamed of myself I haven't made anything for at least a year. I messed around with that Japanese braiding. I do a little work on a dragon scale bracelet now and then. But basically nothing....
                    I bought a couple of felting kits and basket kits and they are still in their packages waiting for me. I just don't feel very creative. I don't know what happened. My muse just went away.
                    The weather has really been strange this year. It's hotter north of us than here in Florida, but still no party here.
                    Good luck on Friday....
                    Hugs, dianna

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 10, 2010
                      Amy,

                      Thanks for the tips
                      I'll try them out.

                      Lyle Steinhardt
                      __________________________
                      http://www.touchquicksoftware.com
                      iChainMaille for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 11, 2010
                        The Earthy Hues pattern is by Carole Ohl and is in the current edition of Bead Work. It's mostly herringbone. I changed it up a bit with bead sizes (I couldn't get the 3mm cubes) but it came out fine. It goes pretty fast, too. Maybe it's just the thing you need to get your muse going! Genny

                        > Wow Genny, I love the earthy hues. Where did you get the pattern? I am so
                        > ashamed of myself I haven't made anything for at least a year. I messed
                        > around with that Japanese braiding. I do a little work on a dragon scale
                        > bracelet now and then. But basically nothing....
                        > I bought a couple of felting kits and basket kits and they are still in
                        > their packages waiting for me. I just don't feel very creative. I don't know
                        > what happened. My muse just went away.
                        > The weather has really been strange this year. It's hotter north of us than
                        > here in Florida, but still no party here.
                        > Good luck on Friday....
                        > Hugs, dianna

                      • gray_bard
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 12, 2010
                          MEMEMEMEMEME!

                          I've been up to all kinds of stuff. I've been gearing up to do a craft show in November, the weekend right after Thanksgiving. So I've been making bracelets, necklaces and earrings. Some Chain, some wire wrap and some combos. Lots of beads!

                          Also have been making some Tree of Life pendants and a few custom orders. Generally keeping busy, not selling much, but making a lot.

                          Then...a friend of my wife gave her a card for a new winery in our area. This winery has an area set aside so they can feature local artists and sell their work. We went over last weekend and this place is AWESOME! The lady that owns the place makes the wines and...WOW! Great wines from locally grown fruits. So anyway, we got to talking with her and I now have no stock! I consigned it all with her.

                          Which means I'm back to square one with my prep for the show! But, if I sell a bunch of stuff thru the winery I can buy more wire right? And we all know that is all that matters! Well...that and more beads!

                          Inspiration...inspiration can be hard. I like to look thru the photo albums and see what others have done. Like the Tree of Life pendants. I found tons of pics and tutorials, then made my own. I base a lot of ideas on what I've seen around me or in pictures. When I don't feel like grabbing the pliers, I grab the mouse and surf a bit. My muse frequently hides online!

                          OK, so enough rambling for now. Find your muse and tie her to the work bench!

                          Bill
                          TheSquiresWorkshop.com
                        • Keith Landry
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 12, 2010
                            me me me too....lol

                            I to am always working on stuff for shows ... which is why you don't see me here much anymore... I have 4 big shows in 3 states next month and working on more for oct. and you never have enough inventory... if the rain stops I will be doing a show at a local rock club for a friends CD release party .... I am also working on special order projects right now too... I am working on some scale pieces for a diver that want to add them to his dive suit to keep the sharks and barracudas from chewing on him... was working on a vest like mine but lost contact with the guy... his phone is disconected... so thats on hold for now...

                            I too do the net surfing thing... sometimes more then I should ... I spent the better part of this afternoon doing just that on the TRL forum gallery and a couple other sites... and yes I do have a couple of real big folders full of pics I copied and saved for future reference...

                            oh and if I were you Bill on the consignment thing ...keep the option open to go back and pick up some or all of the inventory from the winery for the big show you have then bring it back after if you have it... I have a consignment thing going at a shop in the FQ and I am fixing to go do a swap on some of the older stuff that hasn't sold there... put it back on the table and get it out ...

                            ok now I am going surf Bills site... lol