Re: Taught my first class last night - Help!

  • kathywisniewski
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2010
      Hey Cindy-

      It's great that you are getting into teaching--it's a great way to make extra income.
      I agree that some patterns are tough for younger girls. When I teach this class I give 2.5 to 3 hours to complete the project.
      An earring class is perfect to do in an hour.
      I think starters are good for very difficult weaves--this one not being one of them. Students should be allowed to learn how to start a weave on their own.
      The students need to have at least 20-30 minutes to learn opening and closing jumprings.
      High quality, full color tutorials are a MUST! It is way too difficult to explain and teach anything, without a clear visual reference.
      Less color choices is best! Most classes I teach allow the students to choose from either aluminum or copper jump rings. Picking colors can take 10-20 minutes, eating up lots of class time. Students can always buy extra color jump rings if they like the project.
      Do not worry about wasting your own time to pre-open or close any rings for students. Students truly have to learn to do this and do it for themselves to see if they even enjoy the craft and then hopefully take more classes. If you are getting paid for your classes, never do prep work for the students--unless you are getting paid for that too. If you are not getting paid, then it seems you could spend as many hours as you wished on pre-doing work for the students.
      I've been teaching chainmaille and wirework classes for about 7 years and have learned many useful tips like these.
      Hope this helps.

      Good Luck!

      Kat W. (Elemental Art Jewelry and Blue Buddha Boutique instructor)