Re: [CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS] 20 gauge??

  • Wolf's Den Armoury
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
      The largest *I* use in 20g is 3/16.

      BTW...Full Persian and Foxtail are two different weaves.

      foxtail

      full persian

      Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS] 20 gauge??

      Suanough,

      The simple answer is that is totally depends on the weave. In 20 ga, I use 1/8" rings for lots of things, I use 9/64" rings for Euro 6 in 1, I use 5/32" rings for Half-Persian 4 in 1 and some other weaves I can't think of right now, I use 11/64" for Full Persian (or Foxtail -- if you like that name better) and I use 3/16" for the large rings in Dragonscale and Helm's chain (with 1/8" or 7/64" for the smaller rings respectively. Going smaller I use 7/64" for all kinds of weaves and 3/32" for Jens Pind. All of those stats are for saw cut rings.

      There are all sorts of AR charts out there, I'll look around at my links and see if I can't find some, but start at www.bluebuddhabouti que.com - she has a great stats page.

      I hope that helps. PM me if you have more specific questions!!

      Take care,

      Trina

      On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Suanough <suanough@gmail. com> wrote:

      Hi All,

      Another Newbie question... What is the largest ID I can reasonably use for bracelets if using 20g wire?
      I  have been sticking to 20g 1/8" for Byzantine and Euro 4-1 but I'd like to go a little bigger... Guess it
      all goes back to AR... DUH!

      But how large an AR can I use that will be strong enough for bracelets with 20g?

      I've ordered 16g and 18g wire to make coils but it hasn't arrived yet...  Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...

      Thanks,
      Suanough
          :-/

      --
      Trina
      Woven Chains Jewelry

    • Suanough Zentell
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
        Thanks, Dave!!

        Suanough
        Spirits Weaving Silver, Katy TX

        You can only live once but if you do it right... it's enough!
        Check It Out: Facebook Flickr

        Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:20 PM

        On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Suanough <suanough@...> wrote:

        Hi All,

        Another Newbie question... What is the largest ID I can reasonably use for bracelets if using 20g wire?
        I  have been sticking to 20g 1/8" for Byzantine and Euro 4-1 but I'd like to go a little bigger... Guess it
        all goes back to AR... DUH!

        But how large an AR can I use that will be strong enough for bracelets with 20g?

        I've ordered 16g and 18g wire to make coils but it hasn't arrived yet...  Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...

        Thanks,
        Suanough
            :-/

        --
        Trina
        Woven Chains Jewelry
        http://wovenchains.etsy.com

        --
        Suanough
        www.flickr.com/photos/suanough
      • Keith Landry
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009

          I have gone as big as 3/16 stainless tried it in EC and it didn't hold up on me ... and I am uf the mind ..that if I can't wear it 24/7/365 its not going on my table... I have not tired it it BA or anything else cause I don't trust it will hold up... others may have different experience... I do like the HP4-1 in a 20ga 11/64 ...HP3-1 5/32 with a 3 ring connector  and 1/8 ...  BYZ in 1/8 and 7/64 and 3/32 and a 2-2 loop in 3/32 and 7/64 ... also 9/64 works well with most of these weaves too... its sorrta right in the middle... anyome else got ideas on this...

          Keith(mudbug)Landry http://www.myspace.com/mudbug44

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009

            yep I forgot about those... I have done these weaves as well... good call trina

[...]

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Nell
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
              Well, it's been my experience that the AR is only one variable in the equation. It seems that the harder the temper of the wire, the larger ID the rings will tolerate. It's what I've picked up by cutting my own rings from whatever wire I could get a hold of.

              Nell

              --- In CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com, Keith Landry <mudbug_37@...> wrote:

              > I have gone as big as 3/16 stainless tried it in EC and it didn't hold up on me ... and I am uf the mind ..that if I can't wear it 24/7/365 its not going on my table... I have not tired it it BA or anything else cause I don't trust it will hold up... others may have different experience... I do like the HP4-1 in a 20ga 11/64 ...HP3-1 5/32 with a 3 ring connector  and 1/8 ...  BYZ in 1/8 and 7/64 and 3/32 and a 2-2 loop in 3/32 and 7/64 ... also 9/64 works well with most of these weaves too... its sorrta right in the middle... anyome else got ideas on this...
              >

              > Keith(mudbug)Landry http://www.myspace.com/mudbug44

            • Keith Landry
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009

                I don't remember where but I have seen the FP6-1 referred to as a fox tail...  not saying your wrong... but neither is Suanough...