tumblers

  • dazzeyduke
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1 6:39 AM
      I know that this has been discussed before but i didn't save it. Is it
      a rotary tumblers that is best for cleaning chainmaille(even with beads
      on it). I also think i remember someone saying they bought one at
      michaels. Is there any kind of store that you can purchase one other
      than on the internet. Thanks for any help you can give me. Thankyou
      Barb.
    • nell_post
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1 8:21 AM
        Hi Barb,

        A rotary tumbler w/ steel shot is recommended for any wire jewelry,
        chain maille included. But before you start using one, be sure to read
        and follow the file that Dianna posted in the Files folder on the
        Dreaded Black Contamination. Here is the link:

        b=1&m=t&o=0

        As far as buying a tumbler in a brick and morter store, if you have an
        extensive hobby shop or lapidary shop nearby, that would be the ticket.
        I'm in such a remote area of SC that I don't have the luxury of
        buying 'in person'. The best price I found for the tumbler and spare
        parts is www.therockshed.com, steel shot I had to get elsewhere.

        I cannot stress enough to read and follow the advice in the Black
        Contamination article, and don't take short cuts. The instructions that
        come with your tumbler don't give nearly enough detail to avoid causing
        yourself problems.

        Nell

        --- In CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com, "dazzeyduke"
        <bustingbubbles@...> wrote:

        > I know that this has been discussed before but i didn't save it. Is
        it
        > a rotary tumblers that is best for cleaning chainmaille(even with
        beads
        > on it). I also think i remember someone saying they bought one at
        > michaels. Is there any kind of store that you can purchase one other
        > than on the internet. Thanks for any help you can give me. Thankyou
        > Barb.

      • DiannaWolfe
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1 8:31 AM
          Actually the link is
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS/files/
          Then scroll down until you see the file about tumblers and contamination.
          dianna

          AfterMidNight-artisan jewelry
          http://www.diannawolfe.etsy.com
          "I've lived long enough to see the future become history."
          "I only do what my Rice Krispies tell me to do."
          .

        • Barbara Entwistle
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1 2:06 PM
            Sorry Nell I don't seem to be able to find the file you suggested. Barb

            To: CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: nell_post@...: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:21:57 +0000Subject: [CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS] Re: tumblers

            Hi Barb,A rotary tumbler w/ steel shot is recommended for any wire jewelry, chain maille included. But before you start using one, be sure to read and follow the file that Dianna posted in the Files folder on the Dreaded Black Contamination. Here is the link:http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/CMA_Gallery/photos/browse/c8ce?b=1&m=t&o=0As far as buying a tumbler in a brick and morter store, if you have an extensive hobby shop or lapidary shop nearby, that would be the ticket. I'm in such a remote area of SC that I don't have the luxury of buying 'in person'. The best price I found for the tumbler and spare parts is www.therockshed.com, steel shot I had to get elsewhere.I cannot stress enough to read and follow the advice in the Black Contamination article, and don't take short cuts. The instructions that come with your tumbler don't give nearly enough detail to avoid causing yourself problems.Nell--- In CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com, "dazzeyduke" <bustingbubbles@...> wrote:>> I know that this has been discussed before but i didn't save it. Is it > a rotary tumblers that is best for cleaning chainmaille(even with beads > on it). I also think i remember someone saying they bought one at > michaels. Is there any kind of store that you can purchase one other > than on the internet. Thanks for any help you can give me. Thankyou > Barb.>

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1 3:29 PM
              My bad. Dianna corrected me earlier. Try this:

              scroll down to find the black contamination file. It's near the
              bottom.

              Nell

              --- In CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Entwistle
              <bustingbubbles@...> wrote:

              > Sorry Nell I don't seem to be able to find the file you suggested.
              Barb

              > To: CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@...: nell_post@...: Mon, 1 Sep 2008
              15:21:57 +0000Subject: [CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS] Re: tumblers

              > Hi Barb,A rotary tumbler w/ steel shot is recommended for any wire
              jewelry, chain maille included. But before you start using one, be
              sure to read and follow the file that Dianna posted in the Files
              folder on the Dreaded Black Contamination. Here is the
              link:http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/CMA_Gallery/photos/browse/c8ce?
              b=1&m=t&o=0As far as buying a tumbler in a brick and morter store, if
              you have an extensive hobby shop or lapidary shop nearby, that would
              be the ticket. I'm in such a remote area of SC that I don't have the
              luxury of buying 'in person'. The best price I found for the tumbler
              and spare parts is www.therockshed.com, steel shot I had to get
              elsewhere.I cannot stress enough to read and follow the advice in the
              Black Contamination article, and don't take short cuts. The
              instructions that come with your tumbler don't give nearly enough
              detail to avoid causing yourself problems.Nell--- In
              CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com, "dazzeyduke" <bustingbubbles@>
              wrote:>> I know that this has been discussed before but i didn't save
              it. Is it > a rotary tumblers that is best for cleaning chainmaille
              (even with beads > on it). I also think i remember someone saying
              they bought one at > michaels. Is there any kind of store that you
              can purchase one other > than on the internet. Thanks for any help
              you can give me. Thankyou > Barb.>

            • Sandy
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 14, 2008
                Hiya,

                I just have a few questions about tumblers...My daughter has a toy
                tumbler...can that be used to shine up stainless steel? If so what do
                you put in with it? The thing is really noisy..are regular tumblers
                that noisy too?

                Thanks!!
                Sandy
              • Keith Landry
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 14, 2008
                  it will work  but watch the weight limits... stainless is heavy ... I use stainless mixed shot with water and a few drops of blue dawn... you can also use crushed walnut

                  Keith(mudbug)Landry http://mudbugschainmaille.com/

                • JadedDragonRI@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 15, 2008
                    Thanks Keith! =o)