Re: wire waste with the KK

  • Gladys Ruediger
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi,
      I send my scrap to Midwest Refineries for cash. They pay approx. 80%
      of the market value for it. You just mail it to them and tell them
      you would like your credit to be in the form of a check and in a week
      or so voila!! Your scrap is turned into cash.
      I separate my fine and sterling silver (two different pay rates) and
      gold-filled. I make a LOT of rings so the scrap builds up fast.
      Knowing I will get 80% of the value back makes it easier to put "less
      than perfect" rings into the scrap pile.
      I recently bought the longer mandrels and winder from Dave and the
      smaller diameter mandrels are so flimsy...I'm trying to think of
      something to hold up the mandrel while winding. Any ideas?? We still
      wind by hand...not a drill...seems like better control.
      Gladys

      --- In CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com, <ms_kathy@...> wrote:

      > Yes, save your scrap silver and gold but keep each type in a
      separate container. Your larger companies like Rio will buy it back
      from you.

      > Kathy
      > Dazzlemania Designs

    • Diane Sweisthal
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 1, 2007
        Morning!!
        i have found that if I support the mandrel with my right index finger as I'm winding, It helps it not to bend so much, I use the coil winder too, left hand turns winder, right supports the mandrel and holds the wire, to keep from bending towards me as I wind.
        HTH"s!!!
        di

        I send my scrap to Midwest Refineries for cash. They pay approx. 80%
        of the market value for it. You just mail it to them and tell them
        you would like your credit to be in the form of a check and in a week
        or so voila!! Your scrap is turned into cash.
        I separate my fine and sterling silver (two different pay rates) and
        gold-filled. I make a LOT of rings so the scrap builds up fast.
        Knowing I will get 80% of the value back makes it easier to put "less
        than perfect" rings into the scrap pile.
        I recently bought the longer mandrels and winder from Dave and the
        smaller diameter mandrels are so flimsy...I'm trying to think of
        something to hold up the mandrel while winding. Any ideas?? We still
        wind by hand...not a drill...seems like better control.
        Gladys

        --- In CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com, <ms_kathy@...> wrote:

        > Yes, save your scrap silver and gold but keep each type in a
        separate container. Your larger companies like Rio will buy it back
        from you.

        > Kathy
        > Dazzlemania Designs

      • Dana
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 1, 2007
          Gladys,

          What do you mean by something to hold up the mandrel while winding?

          Dana

          I send my scrap to Midwest Refineries for cash. They pay approx. 80%
          of the market value for it. You just mail it to them and tell them
          you would like your credit to be in the form of a check and in a week
          or so voila!! Your scrap is turned into cash.
          I separate my fine and sterling silver (two different pay rates) and
          gold-filled. I make a LOT of rings so the scrap builds up fast.
          Knowing I will get 80% of the value back makes it easier to put "less
          than perfect" rings into the scrap pile.
          I recently bought the longer mandrels and winder from Dave and the
          smaller diameter mandrels are so flimsy...I'm trying to think of
          something to hold up the mandrel while winding. Any ideas?? We still
          wind by hand...not a drill...seems like better control.
          Gladys

          --- In CHAIN_MAILLE_ ARTISTS@yahoogro ups.com, <ms_kathy@.. .> wrote:

          > Yes, save your scrap silver and gold but keep each type in a
          separate container. Your larger companies like Rio will buy it back
          from you.

          > Kathy
          > Dazzlemania Designs

        • mary
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 1, 2007
            wonder if you can make a rig that supports the mandrel , like a U shaped
            holder?
            mary

            On 10/1/07, Diane Sweisthal <dibeads2@...> wrote:

            > Morning!!
            > i have found that if I support the mandrel with my right index finger as
            > I'm winding, It helps it not to bend so much, I use the coil winder too,
            > left hand turns winder, right supports the mandrel and holds the wire, to
            > keep from bending towards me as I wind.
            > HTH"s!!!
            > di

            visit my website http://geocities.com/littlefeathersspirit

            Proud Member of Ohio Beaders Showcase - Showing the World the Talent of
            Beaders in Ohio
            http://ohiobeadersshowcase.blogspot.com/

          • Diane Sweisthal
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 1, 2007
              That's a good idea!! something that you could clamp to the work surface and keep it from moving!! hmmm, have to talk to dennis about that!! maybe drill a slot or a hole to accomodate the mandrel in a "L" shaped piece of metal.
              Good idea Mary!!
              di

              wonder if you can make a rig that supports the mandrel , like a U shaped
              holder?
              mary

              On 10/1/07, Diane Sweisthal <dibeads2@...> wrote:

              > Morning!!
              > i have found that if I support the mandrel with my right index finger as
              > I'm winding, It helps it not to bend so much, I use the coil winder too,
              > left hand turns winder, right supports the mandrel and holds the wire, to
              > keep from bending towards me as I wind.
              > HTH"s!!!
              > di

            • Richard Guerra
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 1, 2007
                Please help would like to stop e-mail from chain_maille_artists

                From: The Attic Lady

                That tut on the KK is fantastic! Thanks Kathy

                > Here's a good tutorial on how to setup your Dremel for use with the
                > Koil Kutter.
                > http://www.desiredcreations.com/howTo_TLKoilKutter.htm
                <http://www.desiredcreations.com/howTo_TLKoilKutter.htm>

                > Kathy
                > Dazzlemania Designs

              • JUANITA SIGNS
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 1, 2007
                  You will need to go to the groups page and unsubscribe. Juanita

                  Richard Guerra <gmc03@...> wrote: Please help would like to stop e-mail from chain_maille_artists

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 2, 2007
                    Thanks guys for the responses...I've thought of these things but
                    haven't actually found something to do it yet. DH will "get around"
                    to it...lol...We have the winder screwed down to the work table so we
                    wind with the right hand and the mandrel is sticking out to the left.
                    The wire comes up from a slotted thing we put the spool on so he
                    supports the mandrel with his left hand while holding the wire
                    taut...it still is so flimsy on the 3.0mm and 3.5 sizes. The thicker
                    the mandrel the sturdier but in the meantime...we've tried sticking a
                    spool under it but it's not high enough, and different "thing" from
                    the work table. We need something that moves to the right as we
                    progress and spins with the winder. Right now if I get an order for
                    5 - 10 oz.'s it comes in so handy so I just go downstairs with him
                    and hold the mandrel in the middle while he winds...boring!!! lol
                    Gladys

                    --- In CHAIN_MAILLE_ARTISTS@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Sweisthal"