Made a New Exhaust

  • Chris Moore
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 19, 2010
    • 582 KB
    So I made a new exhaust over the last couple days.

    Cost was $42.19. Used original manifold cut 4" from block. Welded 1 1/4" 90 exhaust pipe to that. Then 1 1/4" straight piece with one side expanded so it would fit over the 90 end. Drilled a ton of holes in it. Welded 2 washers (1 1/14" X 2 1/2") to the 1 1/4" then wrapped fiberglass around 1 1/4" pipe where I drilled the holes. Slid over the 1 1/4" X 2 1/2" washers a 2 1/2" exhaust tube then welded it.

    This makes it a 2 chamber exhaust setup. Took a left over Piece of diamond plate 6 wide and 13" long molded it around the exhaust, drilled 2 holes, welded 2 nuts the the exhaust. Then mounted the Diamond plate to the exhaust.

    Also added 3 brackets of 3/4" flat stock to original mounting locations. Painted the exhaust also. take a look at the picture attached. Let me know what you think.

    It is louder than stock but I also made a end cap the has a 1 1/2" OD X 3/4 ID washer welded to it to reduce the noise back down to a stock sound. But I like the louder version better. People notice alot more now.

    Chris

  • in transit
    Message 2 of 15 , Aug 19, 2010
      what i think depends on how long it lasts.

      let us know after you have 2500 miles on it.

      kudos for the effort.

      Message 3 of 15 , Aug 20, 2010
        Wow, that is a nice fabrication job. Any chance of taking a short video clip with sound and uploading to Youtube?

        --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <vette66_00@...> wrote:

        > So I made a new exhaust over the last couple days.
        >
        > Cost was $42.19. Used original manifold cut 4" from block. Welded 1 1/4" 90 exhaust pipe to that. Then 1 1/4" straight piece with one side expanded so it would fit over the 90 end. Drilled a ton of holes in it. Welded 2 washers (1 1/14" X 2 1/2") to the 1 1/4" then wrapped fiberglass around 1 1/4" pipe where I drilled the holes. Slid over the 1 1/4" X 2 1/2" washers a 2 1/2" exhaust tube then welded it.
        >
        > This makes it a 2 chamber exhaust setup. Took a left over Piece of diamond plate 6 wide and 13" long molded it around the exhaust, drilled 2 holes, welded 2 nuts the the exhaust. Then mounted the Diamond plate to the exhaust.
        >
        > Also added 3 brackets of 3/4" flat stock to original mounting locations. Painted the exhaust also. take a look at the picture attached. Let me know what you think.
        >
        > It is louder than stock but I also made a end cap the has a 1 1/2" OD X 3/4 ID washer welded to it to reduce the noise back down to a stock sound. But I like the louder version better. People notice alot more now.
        >

        > Chris

      • Christopher
        Message 4 of 15 , Aug 20, 2010
          Yes I can do that tomorrow.

          Chris

          --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "slickvicscooter" <slickvic@...> wrote:

          > Wow, that is a nice fabrication job. Any chance of taking a short video clip with sound and uploading to Youtube?
          >

          > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <vette66_00@> wrote:
          > >
          > > So I made a new exhaust over the last couple days.
          > >
          > > Cost was $42.19. Used original manifold cut 4" from block. Welded 1 1/4" 90 exhaust pipe to that. Then 1 1/4" straight piece with one side expanded so it would fit over the 90 end. Drilled a ton of holes in it. Welded 2 washers (1 1/14" X 2 1/2") to the 1 1/4" then wrapped fiberglass around 1 1/4" pipe where I drilled the holes. Slid over the 1 1/4" X 2 1/2" washers a 2 1/2" exhaust tube then welded it.
          > >
          > > This makes it a 2 chamber exhaust setup. Took a left over Piece of diamond plate 6 wide and 13" long molded it around the exhaust, drilled 2 holes, welded 2 nuts the the exhaust. Then mounted the Diamond plate to the exhaust.
          > >
          > > Also added 3 brackets of 3/4" flat stock to original mounting locations. Painted the exhaust also. take a look at the picture attached. Let me know what you think.
          > >
          > > It is louder than stock but I also made a end cap the has a 1 1/2" OD X 3/4 ID washer welded to it to reduce the noise back down to a stock sound. But I like the louder version better. People notice alot more now.
          > >

          > > Chris

        • Christopher
          Message 5 of 15 , Aug 23, 2010
            Ok here is a video. But after I shot the video and watched it on YouTube the sound is a little different but not like in person. Oh well maybe I will setup the tri-pod and get some video coming and going with and without the silencer. Heres the link to youtube...

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6_DSFY4Pqo

            Chris

            --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@...> wrote:

            > Yes I can do that tomorrow.
            >

            > Chris
            >
            > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "slickvicscooter" <slickvic@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Wow, that is a nice fabrication job. Any chance of taking a short video clip with sound and uploading to Youtube?
            > >

            > > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <vette66_00@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > So I made a new exhaust over the last couple days.
            > > >
            > > > Cost was $42.19. Used original manifold cut 4" from block. Welded 1 1/4" 90 exhaust pipe to that. Then 1 1/4" straight piece with one side expanded so it would fit over the 90 end. Drilled a ton of holes in it. Welded 2 washers (1 1/14" X 2 1/2") to the 1 1/4" then wrapped fiberglass around 1 1/4" pipe where I drilled the holes. Slid over the 1 1/4" X 2 1/2" washers a 2 1/2" exhaust tube then welded it.
            > > >
            > > > This makes it a 2 chamber exhaust setup. Took a left over Piece of diamond plate 6 wide and 13" long molded it around the exhaust, drilled 2 holes, welded 2 nuts the the exhaust. Then mounted the Diamond plate to the exhaust.
            > > >
            > > > Also added 3 brackets of 3/4" flat stock to original mounting locations. Painted the exhaust also. take a look at the picture attached. Let me know what you think.
            > > >
            > > > It is louder than stock but I also made a end cap the has a 1 1/2" OD X 3/4 ID washer welded to it to reduce the noise back down to a stock sound. But I like the louder version better. People notice alot more now.
            > > >

            > > > Chris

          • Christopher
            Message 6 of 15 , Aug 25, 2010
              Hit 400 miles today on the new exhaust. Not a single issue so far, no cracks, no losing packing (fiberglass), and no sound change.

              Also wanted to add that this has increased power over all to 60 much faster and it will do 75 mph at the top but its scary and takes a while to get there.

              Chris

              --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@...> wrote:

              > Ok here is a video. But after I shot the video and watched it on YouTube the sound is a little different but not like in person. Oh well maybe I will setup the tri-pod and get some video coming and going with and without the silencer. Heres the link to youtube...
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6_DSFY4Pqo
              >

              > Chris
              >
              > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes I can do that tomorrow.
              > >

              > > Chris
              > >
              > > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "slickvicscooter" <slickvic@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Wow, that is a nice fabrication job. Any chance of taking a short video clip with sound and uploading to Youtube?

            • davkennett
              Message 7 of 15 , Aug 25, 2010
                what about it runnning lean or rich with your need setup? have you pull the spark pug yet to look??
                --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@...> wrote:

                > Hit 400 miles today on the new exhaust. Not a single issue so far, no cracks, no losing packing (fiberglass), and no sound change.
                >
                > Also wanted to add that this has increased power over all to 60 much faster and it will do 75 mph at the top but its scary and takes a while to get there.
                >
                > Chris
                >
                > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Ok here is a video. But after I shot the video and watched it on YouTube the sound is a little different but not like in person. Oh well maybe I will setup the tri-pod and get some video coming and going with and without the silencer. Heres the link to youtube...
                > >
                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6_DSFY4Pqo
                > >

                > > Chris
                > >
                > > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Yes I can do that tomorrow.
                > > >

                > > > Chris

              • Christopher
                Message 8 of 15 , Aug 25, 2010
                  I pulled the plug just now. Looks like its a light brown color which should be about right. I will do a few plug chops this next weekend with a new plug.

                  Chris

                  --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "davkennett" <davkennett@...> wrote:

                  > what about it runnning lean or rich with your need setup? have you pull the spark pug yet to look??
                  > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hit 400 miles today on the new exhaust. Not a single issue so far, no cracks, no losing packing (fiberglass), and no sound change.
                  > >
                  > > Also wanted to add that this has increased power over all to 60 much faster and it will do 75 mph at the top but its scary and takes a while to get there.
                  > >
                  > > Chris
                  > >
                  > > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Ok here is a video. But after I shot the video and watched it on YouTube the sound is a little different but not like in person. Oh well maybe I will setup the tri-pod and get some video coming and going with and without the silencer. Heres the link to youtube...
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6_DSFY4Pqo
                  > > >

                  > > > Chris

                • davkennett
                  Message 9 of 15 , Aug 25, 2010
                    good for you. glad it s working well.

                    --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@...> wrote:

                    > I pulled the plug just now. Looks like its a light brown color which should be about right. I will do a few plug chops this next weekend with a new plug.
                    >
                    > Chris
                    >
                    > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "davkennett" <davkennett@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > what about it runnning lean or rich with your need setup? have you pull the spark pug yet to look??
                    > > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <vette66_00@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hit 400 miles today on the new exhaust. Not a single issue so far, no cracks, no losing packing (fiberglass), and no sound change.
                    > > >
                    > > > Also wanted to add that this has increased power over all to 60 much faster and it will do 75 mph at the top but its scary and takes a while to get there.
                    > > >
                    > > > Chris

                  • Christopher
                    Message 10 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
                      So you said let you know after 2500 miles. Well today I hit 2534 miles on the new exhaust. Its a little louder than when I first started may have lost a bit of packing fiberglass but its been perfect. No cracks, no rattles, no issues. Still getting good MPG and plug is looking dark gray.
                      So making your own exhaust can be done just take a bit of engineering and making sure you brace it well.

                      ChrisM

                      --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, in transit <fpgaman_2000@...> wrote:

                      > what i think depends on how long it lasts.
                      >
                      > let us know after you have 2500 miles on it.
                      >
                      > kudos for the effort.

                    • harrisbiz
                      Message 11 of 15 , Nov 30, 2010
                        i would like to try a flowmaster cherrybomb passthru auto muffler
                        on my elite 250 scoot (er) ! and at a later date i may try to do so !
                        and let everyone know here my results !

                        --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <vette66_00@...> wrote:

                        > So I made a new exhaust over the last couple days.
                        >
                        > Cost was $42.19. Used original manifold cut 4" from block. Welded 1 1/4" 90 exhaust pipe to that. Then 1 1/4" straight piece with one side expanded so it would fit over the 90 end. Drilled a ton of holes in it. Welded 2 washers (1 1/14" X 2 1/2") to the 1 1/4" then wrapped fiberglass around 1 1/4" pipe where I drilled the holes. Slid over the 1 1/4" X 2 1/2" washers a 2 1/2" exhaust tube then welded it.
                        >
                        > This makes it a 2 chamber exhaust setup. Took a left over Piece of diamond plate 6 wide and 13" long molded it around the exhaust, drilled 2 holes, welded 2 nuts the the exhaust. Then mounted the Diamond plate to the exhaust.
                        >
                        > Also added 3 brackets of 3/4" flat stock to original mounting locations. Painted the exhaust also. take a look at the picture attached. Let me know what you think.
                        >
                        > It is louder than stock but I also made a end cap the has a 1 1/2" OD X 3/4 ID washer welded to it to reduce the noise back down to a stock sound. But I like the louder version better. People notice alot more now.
                        >

                        > Chris

                      • slickvicscooter
                        Message 12 of 15 , Nov 30, 2010
                          You mock us all with your bold claims......

                          "harrisbiz" wrote:

                          > I would like to try a flowmaster cherrybomb passthru auto muffler
                          > on my elite 250 scoot (er) ! and at a later date i may try to do so !
                          > and let everyone know here my results !
                          >

                          > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <vette66_00@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > So I made a new exhaust over the last couple days.
                          > >
                          > > Cost was $42.19. Used original manifold cut 4" from block. Welded 1 1/4" 90 exhaust pipe to that. Then 1 1/4" straight piece with one side expanded so it would fit over the 90 end. Drilled a ton of holes in it. Welded 2 washers (1 1/14" X 2 1/2") to the 1 1/4" then wrapped fiberglass around 1 1/4" pipe where I drilled the holes. Slid over the 1 1/4" X 2 1/2" washers a 2 1/2" exhaust tube then welded it.
                          > >
                          > > This makes it a 2 chamber exhaust setup. Took a left over Piece of diamond plate 6 wide and 13" long molded it around the exhaust, drilled 2 holes, welded 2 nuts the the exhaust. Then mounted the Diamond plate to the exhaust.
                          > >
                          > > Also added 3 brackets of 3/4" flat stock to original mounting locations. Painted the exhaust also. take a look at the picture attached. Let me know what you think.
                          > >
                          > > It is louder than stock but I also made a end cap the has a 1 1/2" OD X 3/4 ID washer welded to it to reduce the noise back down to a stock sound. But I like the louder version better. People notice alot more now.
                          > >

                          > > Chris

                        • Mark
                          Message 13 of 15 , Nov 30, 2010
                            I have used straight through mufflers on several motorcycles and scooters over the years. Really perked up my Piaggio X-9 when used with rollers and clutch springs and a more open intake.
                            I don't believe in the concept of "good back pressure" and firmly believe all back pressure is bad but if your new muffler does not have the same flow characteristics  as your stock system plan on re-jetting the carburetor or it will run poorly.
                            Ride Safe
                            Mark

                            "harrisbiz" wrote:

                            > I would like to try a flowmaster cherrybomb passthru auto muffler
                            > on my elite 250 scoot (er) ! and at a later date i may try to do so !
                            > and let everyone know here my results !
                            >

                            > --- In CH250HondaElite@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <vette66_00@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > So I made a new exhaust over the last couple days.
                            > >
                            > > Cost was $42.19. Used original manifold cut 4" from block. Welded 1 1/4" 90 exhaust pipe to that. Then 1 1/4" straight piece with one side expanded so it would fit over the 90 end. Drilled a ton of holes in it. Welded 2 washers (1 1/14" X 2 1/2") to the 1 1/4" then wrapped fiberglass around 1 1/4" pipe where I drilled the holes. Slid over the 1 1/4" X 2 1/2" washers a 2 1/2" exhaust tube then welded it.
                            > >
                            > > This makes it a 2 chamber exhaust setup. Took a left over Piece of diamond plate 6 wide and 13" long molded it around the exhaust, drilled 2 holes, welded 2 nuts the the exhaust. Then mounted the Diamond plate to the exhaust.
                            > >
                            > > Also added 3 brackets of 3/4" flat stock to original mounting locations. Painted the exhaust also. take a look at the picture attached. Let me know what you think.
                            > >
                            > > It is louder than stock but I also made a end cap the has a 1 1/2" OD X 3/4 ID washer welded to it to reduce the noise back down to a stock sound. But I like the louder version better. People notice alot more now.
                            > >

                            > > Chris

                          • Dennis
                            Message 14 of 15 , Jul 4, 2011
                            • in transit
                              Message 15 of 15 , Jul 4, 2011
                                the same chinese knock off muffler is on ebay for $99.