The passing of a Gallant Horse

  • maccolla1@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2009
      Greetings to one and all,

      It is with a heavy heart that I write this missive and it is the doubly hard because a few years ago I did the same thing for another great horse, his mother. It is time for our horse Wyndyll to cross the Rainbow Bridge. We have been struggling with ulcers with Wyndy for many months and the time has come that we need to let him be out of pain and in peace. We have made to the decision to give him a burial in the Kersey pasture that is along the river, where Deer, Turkeys and other wildlife will keep him company.

      For those of you who knew him, Wyndy was a character to say the very least. He came into the world in May of 1983 and was an individual from the very beginning. On his 2nd day of life, he greeted my with a double barrel kick that could severely damaged me if I had not moved away in time! Wyndy was the son of my first horse, Star, and a quarter horse stallion names Zipper Red Chief and his full name was Star's Windy Zipper, but the only time he went by that name was at Stock horse shows. All other times his main name was Wyndy, as well as many other names that are not to be mentioned in polite company. To say that Wyndy was a character is to completely understate what he was. Wyndy was above all else versatile, he showed english and western, worked at the sale barn, gave numerous pony rides, walked in lots of parades and rocked the house as a combined driving horse. At the end of his career he was a medieval recreation warhorse, teaching everyone from Kings and Queens, Knights, Dukes down to the lowliest peasant to ride. His ground manners were probably the worst you have ever seen from a broke horse, but once he was under saddle or in harness he was dependable and fearless. He never balked at a new challenge and anything new was an adventure for him. He knew the difference between a scared to death beginner and an accomplished one, and he could always tell me in a second if the person on his back was really a knowledge rider or if they were a "wanna be". If the person on his back was a "wanna be" Wyndy went out of his way to make them look like a total idiot and then the next minute would be the perfect gentleman for a small child or someone who was scared to death of being on a horse. Many people was be very leary of getting on him when they would see his ground manners but once they were up, they had the best time of their lives and would get off of him with a smile on their face and a request for another ride sometime in the future.

      My relationship with him was..... colorful, to say the least! There were times when I wanted to take him out and shoot him in the head, but then he could turn around and make me look like the most gifted trainer that walked the earth! He has bitten, kicked, trod upon me, bucked me off and even fallen down with me, but I always knew that he liked me and the home we gave him. From the beginning of his career as a show horse at the age of 3 months, he was a ham! He loved the show ring and the attention he got while in it and as soon as we would come out of the ring and get off he was usually up to his antics again! No matter what he always carried me with courage and joy, and would tolerate many things that would have done a lesser horse in.

      Wyndy has been recognized by the best professionals in the industry and by the Royalty of the Society of Creative Anachronism, as well as many in between. Mostly he was recognized as my partner in crime and a care taker of my husband, my daughter, my mother and many friends.

      Like his mother, Wyndy was my friend and teacher. He taught me many things but most of all he taught me patience and love. I will miss him with all my heart, but I know that he will be well accompanied in the land across the rainbow bridge, where his mother, Star, his father Zipper, his pasture mates Corey, Blue, Zeke and his friends Duck, Rusty, Dazzler, Pawnee and many others all wait for him to come across the bridge and be returned to his normal, healthy and ornery self. There will be no more medicines, supplements or other nastiness for him to endure. Just sweet grass, clear cool water and bright sunny weather waiting for him.

      So tomorrow morning when some of you head out to feed your own beasties, and all of you get ready to head out for your day and the holiday weekend, please take a moment between 7:00 and 8:00 am (mountain time) and remember him and his gallant life.

      Good-bye my friend, I will miss you and all of your dastardly deeds and most of all the smiles you gave me throughout your life.

      Jeanne Mitchell
      AKA THLady Moyra MacColla

      Turn any room into a work of art. Click now for beautiful oriental rugs!
      http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYTn27SFARrEt2ngHbyso4NyOf06HFeuSazhaQB1QGWxQIsFozcv4k/
    • Carol Hiesterman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2009
        Wyndy was indeed a character.  I remember some of the discussions the two of you had on occasion.  He was a fierce competitor and always  a real personality.  I am sure that Ginger Brandye is right now exchanging stories with him about some of the weird things we asked them to do---and no matter how weird, they did them.  The world is a bit dimmer without the boy in it.  We are truly sorry for your loss.

        Lady Anne and Abu

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2009
          Hello all-

          I just wanted to extend a big Thank-you from myself and my family to everyone who sent words of encouragement and kindness to us when we had to put Wyndy down. It helped us all to deal with the grief of losing such a dear friend and it warms my heart to know that Wyndy is remembered fondly for his quirky personality and dastardly deeds by someone else besides me!

          Again thank you all for your caring!

          Jeanne Lauren and Sammie
          (aka Moyra Lorcan and Katrina

          And Millie-Wyndy's REAL owner

          Always a good call. Click now to establish your local phone service!
          http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYUjWMgs1ZvyK0uhr0NY9lqzLfhSWFJqKbMbB9Ejz3Dgc3pkIl4AUY/