Fw: [SCA_KEO] Be a Responsible Rider

  • Diana
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2009

      From the SEO.

      In Service,

      Is
      Outlands-KEO

      --- On Thu, 4/30/09, Yaasamiin <Yaasamiina@rmci. net> wrote:

      From: Yaasamiin <Yaasamiina@rmci. net>
      Subject: [SCA_KEO] Be a Responsible Rider
      To: "SCA-KEO NEWS" <SCA_KEO@yahoogroups .com>
      Date: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 11:56 PM

      Greetings All,

      This year I've had the pleasure to address certain issues with
      equestrians from across the known world with meetings at Estrella in
      Atenveldt, Fool's War in Meridies and Lysts at Castleton in Ansteorra.
      The first topic on the list of issues is Responsibility, the very core
      of our new Handbook. This topic is recently brought up in a leading
      equine magazine, Practical Horseman, of which I've been a subscriber for
      eons. I quote from the May issue, which was just received in the mail.
      You may soon access the entire article online (April's issue is still
      up). Click the link that says Table of Contents and search for page 16:
      http://www.equisear ch.com/practical horseman/

      This month's question was: What do you think would make eventing safer?

      If you followed last year's reports on accidents in the cross-country
      phase of combined training, you'll remember there were a lot of crashes
      over the jump courses (out on open terrain), which resulted in the
      controversy over what exactly was the safety issue. There is a common
      thought that runs throughout the folks who submitted their answers to
      the question; and that is to be responsible in your training for the
      event in which you are riding. The Featured Letter goes like this:/

      The answer is simple: responsible riders. We owe it to the valiant
      creatures who trust us with their lives to honestly evaluate our skill
      level and fitness and only enter events we can safely complete. Safety
      should not be sacrificed for pride.
      Maria Croft
      Jacksonville, Florida/

      My sentiments exactly. This can be directly applied to the equestrian
      games in our reenactment club. My advice is to practice, practice,
      practice and only authorize when fully trained and only compete in the
      lysts when fully prepared. You will honor your competitors the horse you
      are riding and yourself by doing so.

      Please distribute this information within your kingdoms.

      Yaasamiina
      Society Equestrian Officer