[CGequestrian] Cavalier Update

  • diana vann
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 6, 2007
      Greetings Equestrians!

      I want to give you an update on the Cavalier Challenge.  All is starting to fall into place, so I'm very excited!  There's a lot of interest, so I expect a good number to attend.  I'm enlisting the help of those who've put on a few equestrian events before, so I hope all will run smoothly.  At the event, I hope riders have little to worry about so they can attend to their horses.

      That said, there is still lots to be done.  This is an event primarily for the equestrians.  It'll only be as good as we make it.   Here are some items to think about:

      Awards
      What kinds of SCA/Equestrian type awards would be good?  Keep in mind not all riding own their own horses.  Barding would be good if it's decorative.  Or, would favors or banners be better?  What are your ideas?  Can anyone make something?

      Ground Crew
      Who is authorized?  Who needs to be authorized?  Can we create favors for the ground crew to wear?  Maybe the marshalls should wear something special as well.

      Barding
      Does anyone have loaner barding?  Do we want to make some for the barony?  Leased horses will need some attempt at barding.  Also, it would be nice to have a 'crown favorite award' to encourage fancier dress of both horse and rider.

      Indoor arena
      The main arena is outdoor, but there is a small indoor areana in case of bad weather.  It's not much larger than a round pen, but it should work for a modified course.

      Courses
      We are hoping for two.  They will be designed with logistics in mind.  But, feel free to send in your ideas.  We hope to publish them before the event.

      Practices
      Do we need to bring a practice to you?

      Coggins/Health Certificates/Helmets
      I'm waiting for the official word from the site if these will be required.

      Is there anything else that needs to be done before the event?  Please feel free to send me ideas.  Let's plan on a meeting after Estrella War.  Can we meet on a weekday evening?

      -Mary Katherine

      Get your own web address.
    • CLVaughn
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 7, 2007
        Hi--I have some simple barding for loan--rein sleeves and a scalloped
        breastplate.

        Cecily
      • diana vann
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 7, 2007
          That is awesome!  If anyone can keep their eyes out for scarfs or pieces of fabric that can be converted into saddle pad covers that would work as well.

          Thanks!!
          -MK

        • maccolla1@netzero.net
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 8, 2007

            Keep an eye out for table cloths as well, I have a middleastern table cloth that worked perfect for pony barding!   Bracade drapery fabric also works well to make the barding out of, my first set of barding was made from a couple sets of bracade draperies that a friend of mune found at the Salvation Army store.  Bedspreads work well too!

            Jeanne

          • Morgan
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 8, 2007
              I am currently working on a couple of sets of simple barding for the
              loaner horses we have. These will be available for use by anyone in
              need.

              If someone has a style and/or colors they would like to see made let me
              know.
            • diana vann
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 18, 2007

                Well, I didn't get any response to the meeting time this week.  But, if anyone can make it please meet at Wahoo's Tacos in Boulder (28th Street and Pearl) on Wednesday Feb. 21 at 7PM.  But, if someone has a better ideal, please let me know.

                -Mary Katherine

              • Diana
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 18, 2007
                  sorry with WAR I suspect that many didn't see the post.  I know some pwople won't even be back til tue at the earilers so I would suggest moving the meeting to next week so that we can get better attendance and not war tired folks.
                  -DotT

                  Well, I didn't get any response to the meeting time this week.  But, if anyone can make it please meet at Wahoo's Tacos in Boulder (28th Street and Pearl) on Wednesday Feb. 21 at 7PM.  But, if someone has a better ideal, please let me know.

                  -Mary Katherine

                  -"Only those on journeys can see the dim roads that lead home"-

                  Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                • diana vann
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 19, 2007
                    I won't have time to meet next week, plus the ad deadline is next week.  If anyone wants a say in what goes in the Outlandish Herald, please let me know this week (by Friday).  We can have another meeting in mid-March, but please don't wait for a meeting if you can help or have any suggestions.  We only have 2 months before practice with the loaner horses.

                    Did anyone go to Estrella?  Does anyone have anything to share on the equestrian events?

                    -MK

                    Diana <dianatulips@...> wrote:
                    sorry with WAR I suspect that many didn't see the post.  I know some pwople won't even be back til tue at the earilers so I would suggest moving the meeting to next week so that we can get better attendance and not war tired folks.
                    -DotT

                    Well, I didn't get any response to the meeting time this week.  But, if anyone can make it please meet at Wahoo's Tacos in Boulder (28th Street and Pearl) on Wednesday Feb. 21 at 7PM.  But, if someone has a better ideal, please let me know.

                    -Mary Katherine

                    -"Only those on journeys can see the dim roads that lead home"-

                    Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

                    Need Mail bonding?

                  • Diana

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 21, 2007
                        That's great!  Let me know what your ideas are.  If anyone else has ideas please send them.  If you're interesting in helping or just want to know what's going on (so far), please try and make it tonight.  This should be a fun event/demo for our baronies.  Maybe even encourage others to put more equestrian events on the calendar for next year!

                        -Mary Katherine