Re: [CGWcostumers] Artistic Reform Tea Idea

  • Elizabeth Reed
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 5, 2010
      I'm so excited by all the responses so far.

      As for the date, I think that the Spring of this year would probably be too early for everyone to get enough sewing time in. However, we could set a date for 2011 and have an extravagant to-do with all that time to organize. I know that Fall is busy for many people, and December is pretty much out. What would you all say to late September or early November?

      As for the location, let's see how many people are interested before committing to Corinne's home. How many attendees would be your maximum? If we don't have too many, it would be lovely to have you as our location hostess.

      As for patterns, there is the La Mode Bagatelle pattern, if you are lucky enough to have it. There are also several patterns put out by the contemporary pattern companies for medieval and fantasy dresses, many of which are good starting points for these styles. Bicycling costumes, fencing costumes, etc, from the turn of the century and late 1800's are also part of the movement away from corsets and rigid costume.

      Take a look at paintings by the members of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and their contemporaries, like Waterhouse. Lots of inspiration there.

      Here is a list of links for your amusement. There's a lot more out there and this only really scratches the surface. My emphasis is on the more romantic dress as idealized by Morris and Rosetti.

      Fashion-Era.com

      The Aesthetic Dress Movement Fashion History of Aesthetics

      http://www.fashion-era.com/aesthetics.htm#Aesthetic%20Dress

      The Costumer’s Manifesto: http://www.costumes.org/Classes/fashiondress/dress_reformblip.htm

      To purchase or for inspiration:

      http://www.rossetticouture.com/preraph.html

      http://www.verymerryseamstress.com/waterhouse.htm

      http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Womens%20Clothing%20for%20Sale.html (scroll down on this one)

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/fashionnews/5888032/Get-the-look-Pre-Raphaelite-style.html?image=7

      Blogs:

      http://thebeautifulnecessity.blogspot.com/2008/07/another-pre-raphaelite-dress-source.html

      http://thebeautifulnecessity.blogspot.com/2008/07/more-aesthetic-dresses.html

      http://mlleviolet.livejournal.com/12211.html

      an article (no pics, alas)

      http://www.glily.com/preraphs.htm

      Images

      http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Womens%20Clothing%20for%20Sale.html (nice dress on the left a little way down)

      http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/90284869/Stone (see all 5 images)

      An Aesthetic dress: http://into-thefray.com/blog/2009/04/06/aesthetic-movement/

      V&A http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/59332-popup.html

      V&A http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashion/features/round/19th_century_women/liberty_gown/index.html

      V&A http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/59532-popup.html

      V&A http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/59550-popup.html

      V&A http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/59545-popup.html (men’s ensemble a la Oscar Wilde)

      http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=199574

      http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/res.pl?keyword=Aesthetic+Dress&offset=0

      http://cafe.joins.com/cafe/CafeFolderList.asp?cid=artforum&list_id=247347

      http://www.costumes.org/history/20thcent/1900s/boehn/BerlinSingingAcademy.JPG

      http://www.dhub.org/object/170528,dress

      http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/museumcollections/collections/storydetail.php?irn=913&master=455

      On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Elizabeth <chartreusekitty@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      I have Artistic Reform on the brain. I would like to propose an Artistic Reform Tea event for 2010.

      I would be more than happy to coordinate it, but alas, I do not own a grand Arts and Crafts home.

      It has occurred to me that we might be able to use an historical site, or one of our members or friends may have access to, or even own, an appropriate place, with the requisite gardens, etc. The rose garden at Exposition Park would be appropriate, as would the Los Angeles Arboretum (they allow picnicking once a month, I think).

      I'm thinking sometime in the Fall, after we've all had a breather from Costume College.

      Any takers?

      Sincerely,
      Elizabeth Reed

    • Jody Regan
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 7, 2010
        There will always be something that has just happened or is coming up.  The idea of a poll is a good one.